Fibromyalgia Community
flu shots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

flu shots

I have a question...  what does eveyone think of getting the flu shot when you have Fibro.??????   My Daughter is freaking out...she doesn't want me to get the shot...she doesn't  think anyone should get this shot (thinks people will get sicker)   any ways  what do you all think?
I get a flu shot every year. I will not take the H1N1(swine) shot. There is not enough information on this vaccine. The side effects differ with alot of people. I will wait for more
information on this shot.

PlateletGirl has posted a Dr.'s blog address for his information.

I hope this helps with your decision. Good Luck!

Crochetya

I do not get the flu shot as I have had problems with vaccines.  This is a personal decision.  Myself, I would not get the H1N1 vaccine under any circumstance for the reasons posted above.

It is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong decision, but this decision is especially important for those of us who have either fibromyalgia or CFIDS. The reason why is there are many of us, like myself, who cannot tolerate vaccinations. And vaccinations have been known to put us in a fibro flare or if we have CFS... make our condition worse and cause a relapse. So you have to do your research and ask yourself if you've tolerated vaccinations in the past, if you feel the Swine flu vaccination has been properly tested and outweigh the risks vs. the benefit. For myself... I cannot tolerate vaccinations, but I also have some (IMO) very real concerns about this vaccination to begin with. Knowing what I know now about vaccinations... if I were healthy, I would probably opt out.
P.S. ~ Let's just all pray that we don't get this flu and/or if we get the vaccination... that we tolerate it well.
I never get the flu shot and won't this year either.

I just keep washing my hands..but NOT everyone will, so I take my chances and hope for the best. I am not on the "those that need to get one" list.
I will get the flu shot yet again this year because of me having bronchial asthma but I'm not sure about the H1N1 shot. My doctor says I should get it because I work in the school system here as a lunch monitor and am around over 800 kids everyday. Plus about 40 or so co-workers. There is also a day care that is in our building, I have no clue how many kids it takes in daily. So I don't mind the flu shot although it generally does send me into a flare up but to me it is worth it if it means that I won't get as sick as I would without it. Without it, I know for a fact that I would be in my bed sick as a dog for the whole winter/spring time. I cannot have this. Especially when it means that I can't breath or function. If it was anything else, I probably wouldn't get it.

What the lyme patients are being told by their physicians in regards to the flu shot:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Lyme-Disease/Flu-Vaccine-and-Lyme-patients/show/1069779