Fibromyalgia Community
help for fatigue and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

help for fatigue and pain

Does anyone out there have experience with taking bio-identical hormones to relieve pain and increase energy? If so, please let me know what you've done and how long it takes before feeling better.
Hi lisa, I am 44 and started taking bio-identical progesterone cream in Sept. 2009. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia back in July 2009. I wanted to go the more natural route, without drugs that would hurt my organs. To help my fibromyalgia I started on a strict diet of no sugar, complex carbs, no caffeine, 5 small meals a day, low fat and only good fat like extra virgin olive oil. I also started taking 600mg of calcium /300mg magnesium 2 times daily, high concetrated omega 3 supplements once daily, 200-400 vit. E, 1000-2000 vit.D, 1000-2000 vit.C, multi vitamin with high B complex, 200 mg CoQ10 once daily and the most important was digestive enzymes with everything I ate. Doing all this helped with my pain and well being considerably. When I began having a lot of problems with my period I started on the prescription progesterone. The progesterone helped with getting my cycle back after it suddenly stopped, it also helped with water retention, vaginal dryness, low sex drive, clotting and cramping. I don't think it did to much for my fatigue. Your body may become more swollen the first few months when you use it but don't give up it goes away. I also had an increase in appetite so becareful. That is why I strayed off my diet. That side effect eventually goes away too. I no longer need ibuprophen during my period because the progesterone helped so much. The diet, supplements and progesterone cream helped but if I strayed off my diet my pain would become more intense. I went to see an Endocrinologist and she told me I had reactive hypoglycemia, insulin resistance and inflammation of the thyroid with normal blood levels. All of these things I did helped my body but it didn't fix the problems. I needed medication for the insulin resistance and thyroid to help regulate my glucose, nsulin levels and hormone levels. Once I started on the medications most of my pain went away. The doctor still has to do some tweeking to my meds and I have only been taking them for 2 weeks. She said it would take at least 4 weeks to see the best improvement. The progesterone will help you but it won't cure you. Unfortunately there are so many areas of your body that are affected, they all need to be addressed. You need to find yourself a good female Endocrinologist to look into your condition.
Good Luck and let me know if you need any help.
One further note: if you're lucky enough you can find a doc with a double Board Certification, a GYN/Endrochronologist.  I did.  He's quite good.  My Rheumatologist thought that combo is what we folks need and suggested a name.  Now, he only works on sexual hormones.  I go to a regular Endrochronologist for thyroid assistance. I like the combination and they share findings and treatment information.