Fibromyalgia Community
high pressure upbringing; stress starts early
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

high pressure upbringing; stress starts early

i was brought up in a high pressure household, without knowing it cause i didn't have anything to compare it to. i think this has been part of the longterm stress that has contributed to cfs, and/ or contributed to my behaviors leading to cfs. as described in this article:
http://www. wrongdiagnosis. com/hd/news/622795.childhood-trauma-tied-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.htm
i'm hesitant to be discussing it because it will appear as though i'm digging up the past which should be let bygone; well, i will let it go when i've addressed it and been healed of it! i also hesitate because a lot of the pushiness and high pressure ethos of my folks is on the other side of the fine line of privilege and opportunity. us kids just did well and then got pushed more, and no one could see anything wrong with it.
as stress, most people don't know when they're stressed.
so that was the pushy household. god bless my parents cause they didn't know.
the other thing that i've been dealing with in the last two years is the beating i occasionally got as a youngster. not every day, just occasional violent punishment gone wrong, and separate from corrective smacks and discipline - which i would otherwise agree with. this was largely from age 5 to 12; i idolized my dad and wanted to maintain the illusion of his greatness. i eventually left home and generally forgot about it and took the blame cause I didn't know make the distinction between smacks and violent assault. fast forward to now, and when i was weak and very ill, the memories flooded in sharply, as though i wasn't strong enough any longer to cram them away.
i've gone on here, because i have found that addressing the original hurt and acknowledging and healing the distress has been helpful in my recovery journey, and i hope others can find healing and forgiveness in the long road that is recovery...