Fibromyalgia Community
mono reactivated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

mono reactivated

Just found out that mono was reactivated again.  This is at least the 3rd time ( 1979, 1991 (CFS diagnosis), present).  Asked how many times it can be reactivated and dr. said there isn't a limit.

Any ideas on how to clear this quickly episode quickly?  And how to decrease the likelihood that it gets reactivated again?

It's a tough time of year to try to rest.  I haven't been able to work since 1991 so there isn't a work load to decrease.

Thanks for any input,
Karen

Hello Karen,
I am sorry to hear your mono has been reactivated. I know you don't want to hear it, but you are going to have to do your best to rest and drink lots of fluids. You immune system needs it. That's the best way to overcome the episode. I would make sure to eat well, take a good multivitamin and at least 2000mg of vitamin D3 per day if you're not already taking it as well. Is your doctor putting you on a NSAID or a low dose steroid?

I always try to learn from my body and read it like a history book. Since this has happened to you before, I would think back to your previous experiences and try to correlate environmental factors like stress that was happening at the time that may have contributed to your weakened immune system when you were sick before. Perhaps you can find similarities in the situations you find yourself in now. That might help you to avoid future reactivations, but I think it's really difficult to say because you have CFS-ME and I think it makes your body more susceptible.

I hope this episode is a mild one for you. I am sure since you've been through it before you've learned a few things about getting better and taking care of yourself. I bet you'll be feeling better for the holidays. Please keep us updated.  
-Dusty  

You might want to consider taking a pro-biotic. I've read about Astragalus also and I take it. It's a chinese herb that boosts the immune system.  Keeping your immunity as strong as possible I would think is part of the battle.  I hope this helps.