Fibromyalgia Community
muscle cramp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

muscle cramp

Hi everyone. I am in the process of trying to find out if I have fibro. My PCP doctor is working with me, but he really is not familiar with the condition. Right now I am trying to find a doctor that specializes in it. Anyway, I have a question and that hopefully someone can help me with. For the past 2 weeks, during the night, I wake up with the feeling that my legs are going to cramp up. I feel an on and off squeezing sensation right below my knee in the calf area. Sometimes I am afraid to move my leg for fear it will develope into a full blown leg cramp, Also whenever this happens, my knee feels real tight. Does this sound like a fibro problem?? Has anyone else have this problem?
Many things can cause muscle cramping, including dehydration or overworking the muscles.  While they also can be a symptom of fibro, they are certainly not the only symptom and usually (although everyone is different) not one of patient's major concerns.  Are you staying well hydrated?  Taking any medications?  Some medications can cause potassium loss and/or dehydration, which can definitely trigger muscle cramping.  You may want to try increasing your dietary potassium intake for a few days and see if it helps at all - bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, etc., all have good sources of potassium - you can also look up potassium content of foods online - there are several good listings.  Sports type drinks, such as gatorade, also will give you some potassium, as well as other essential nutrients if, by any chance, you ARE dehydrated - and that coul dhelp with the cramps also.

As far as finding a doctor who specializes in fibro, typically your best bet would be a rheumatologist.  They not only seem to be the most knowledgeable about it, they tend to treat it more often than a general practitioner.  Since your currently primary doctor is not real faimiliar with fibro,. but is willing to work with you, you may want ask him for a referral to a rheumatologist.  Some of them don't require referrals, however, your insurance MAY require the referral and also sometimes if you are referred to a "specialist" like a rheumatologist, you can get an appointment quicker than if you simply call and make the appointment yourself without a referring doctor.

Whenever you do get that cramp coming on feeling in your leg, you may actually be better off moving your leg and GENTLY stretching it - that sometimes will help release the cramp rather than make it go into a full blown one.  Try not to rub the cramped area - that usually just makes the cramp feel worse (at least in my experience).

Are you sure these are just muscle cramps?  Do they ONLY happen at night?  Any calf pain when walking?  I'm asking these questions because, not to frighten you, but calf pain can also be an indication of a blood clot.  If the area is also warm and/or red, you definitely need to get to a doctor ASAP and be evaluated for blood clot.

Best of luck - I hope you find a good doctor soon and also hope you feel better!  Happy Holidays!
I think you may be experiencing vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  One possible cause is Celiac disease, so get tested for that.  No use treating symptoms when what you need to do is find out the cause and treat that.  

Take gluten-free vitamins with minerals.  Take magnesium in the morning and calcium, vitamin D and potassium at night.