Fibromyalgia Community
nsaids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

nsaids

I want to know if taking extra vit. D and vit E will prohibit bone growth, since
these vitamins are suppose to help with inflamation (inflammation), like nsaids do.  My
polymyalgia causes lots of inflamation (inflammation) in my body.  How much inflamation (inflammation)
do I need for my body to grow bone?  I see my RA doctor Sept. 13, and my
surgeon on Oct. 19.

mkt353
I don't really know the answer to the bone growth part, but I do know that if you can get your vitamin D levels between 60-100 that this is best for optimal health, especially for those of us dealing with these illnesses.  I do know from experience that once I got my vitamin D close to the 50 range I stopped catching every virus under the sun so easily.  I didn't know about all of this until I experienced severe vitamin D deficiency that nearly killed me.  If you're able to take the vitamin D supplements at the levels that will help boost your vitamin D levels, which would be 2,000 iu to 5,000 iu daily for most adults.  Some people can take the lower range to maintain their vitamin D levels, but I need to take the 5,000 iu daily just to maintain my levels, so my levels don't drop.  Taking less for me just doesn't work.  However, I do know that there are many people on this and other forums who just don't tolerate the higher levels of vitamin D supplements, but if you're able to tolerate taking the higher dosages, then the Vitamin D Council suggests that all adults take at least the 2,000-5,000 iu range.  

However, since many on this forum also deal with vitamin D dysregulation, it is also recommended that you continue to monitor your vitamin D levels with regular vitamin D tests.  The test with the OH is the test that is recommended for knowing if your vitamin D levels are closer to the 50-100 range.  If you are one of the people who experiences vitamin D dysregulation, you will also have to be extra careful about supplementing the vitamin D.  If you're experiencing one number being really high and the other number being really low, this is vitamin D dysregulation, and you will have to ask your doctor for recommendations with vitamin D supplementation.  But, if you were mostly experiencing vitamin D deficiency, which doesn't necessarily have to be severe to be a deficiency, then the vitamin D supplementation will be a lot simpler for you.  Most on this forum do experience some amount of vitamin D deficiency.  If I didn't supplement, mine would be severely low again.  

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that conventional doctors don't consider a person to be "deficient" if the test number is around 30.  Most on this forum, though, need to aim for the higher numbers, if it's at all possible, because of the autoimmune issues people are dealing with.  This is information I have gotten from the Vitamin D Council.  

I do know from experience that catching fewer viruses definitely helps a lot.