Fibromyalgia Community
smoking?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

smoking?

Does smoking cigarettes exacerbate the symptoms and pain?

My wife has fibromyalgia and myofascial syndrome.  

Yesterday she had to go to the ER because of neck pain. The doctor there was not a "believer" until he spoke to her doctor. His tune changed afterward.

Her new doctor wants to try nutrition and physical therapy but I can't see how this will alleviate the pain at all.  

What do you folks do for pain and does smoking tobacco make this disease worse?

Thank you and I hope you're all doing well today.

Scott
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
172715_tn?1285498090
It takes muscles to inhale and exhale, so yes is your answer.  Also many doctors are so sure that smoking inhibites healing that if you need surgery they won't do it until you quit smoking. It happened to me and others I know.  I did quit smoking but then my sinus problem totally cleared up. WOW Smoking also ruins some of the vitamins in your body that help in keeping your body healthier. i.e vitamin C is just one. Tell her that it will help and it can't hurt if she would cut way down, then quit.  Good luck & hope that helps        

EX-SMOKER SINCE 6/12/2001
Blank
149087_tn?1258457420
Hi. I am a nonsmoker, always have been but I would say yes that smoking causes her some pain. When I was married my husband smoked. Well we were seperated for awhile and so I did not have to smell cig smoke for about 3 months. The air in my house was actually clean. It was nice. I noticed that my pain was down a little bit. I didnt however notice this until he moved back and I had to smell the smoke again. Once that happened my body started to hurt really bad again.
Blank
  For my Fibro pain I take Essiac, MSM, Grapeseed, Magnesium Glycinate and Calcium with D3.   Sounds like a lot, but these work for me.  I don't have a lot of pain unless the pressure builds with the cloud cover.  Then, I sometimes take a Naproxen.   Most of the time I have very little "normal" pain.
Blank
   Since every puff of a cigarette robs the body of oxygen, yes, it can exacerbate Fibromyalgia pain.  Also, second-hand smoke is very harmful as it contains many chemicals that are blown into the air as one exhales.   Fibromyalgia patients need clean air and clean living.  There is nearly always "normal" pain as one with Fibromyalgia lives in constant pain.  The "breakthrough" pain is so much worse and difficult to bear.

Wishing you the best
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fibromyalgia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank