Aa
A
A
Close
tests for protein S and protein C deficiency?
what tests should I ask my physician to order to rule out or rule in protein S & protein C deficiency?

I have some family members with this and want to know if I have it before deciding whether to go on estrogen hormone replacement for menopause symptoms.

I have fibromyalgia and endometriosis.  My understanding is that there is a high incidence of women that have both of these conditions together and that there is perhaps also a relationship with protein S and protein C deficiency.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1530171 tn?1448133193
Hi Janet and welcome to the forum.

It is a simple blood test, as both these proteins are anticoagulant agents.
The diificulty might be to get your doctor to agree to have this test ordered, as the co-relation of C&S protein deficiency and actual risk has not been strongly established, as most people with such deficiencies will never develop blood clots in their lifetime.
I understand that hormone supplementation increases further the risk of clots on top of the genetic risk, but it helps to have an understanding and co-operative doctor, to ensure a very thorough process.
Another suggestion I have, is to look at herbal alternatives, which have worked well for many, including my wife.

This is not intended as an alternative for medical advice.

Best wishes!
Niko
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fibromyalgia Community Resources