tests for protein S and protein C deficiency?
what tests should I ask my physician to order to rule out or rule in protein S & protein C deficiency?

I have some family members with this and want to know if I have it before deciding whether to go on estrogen hormone replacement for menopause symptoms.

I have fibromyalgia and endometriosis.  My understanding is that there is a high incidence of women that have both of these conditions together and that there is perhaps also a relationship with protein S and protein C deficiency.
Hi Janet and welcome to the forum.

It is a simple blood test, as both these proteins are anticoagulant agents.
The diificulty might be to get your doctor to agree to have this test ordered, as the co-relation of C&S protein deficiency and actual risk has not been strongly established, as most people with such deficiencies will never develop blood clots in their lifetime.
I understand that hormone supplementation increases further the risk of clots on top of the genetic risk, but it helps to have an understanding and co-operative doctor, to ensure a very thorough process.
Another suggestion I have, is to look at herbal alternatives, which have worked well for many, including my wife.

This is not intended as an alternative for medical advice.

Best wishes!
Niko