Fibromyalgia Community
tight band in diaphragm area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

tight band in diaphragm area

I have a tight band below my rib cage around the diaphragm area.  I also have heart disease but the cardiologist said it is not the heart.  My rheumatogist doesn't have any idea what could cause this.  Any ideas?
Could you describe the tight band? Does it feel like muscle tightness or something pressing on your diaphragm from within? Is it there constantly or does it come and go? I get muscle tightness and spasms in that area. My back is also out of alignment from muscle spasms which I believe pulls on my abdominal muscles.

Ree4tu

I also get this feeling with me it does not feel like the muscles contracting,its the hardest thing to describe,I dont know if we are experiencing the same thing but mine comes and goes I alos get it in other places arms thighs and in the private area. I have tried explaining in so many different ways here are a few.

Feels like blood moving around and giving a squeeze on its way through.

feels like the very begin of cramp but this it weird rather than pain.

Feels like imagine a horror movie when some thing gets into the body  like slim and it slowly moves around stopping ever now and then because it cant get through so you feel it putting pressure on an area of your body.

Just weird at first I was really frightened but now im learning to live with it I have no idea what this is but hopefully as my visits to the rhrumo  get on its way they can shred some light.

Its not painful.

I thought may be it was wind but you don't get wind in the other places I have mentioned.

Is this anything like what you are experiencing when I thought I may have ms I went on there forum and mentioned this they said it was the ms hug well I don't have ms so is it the Fibro hug if there is any such thing.

I hope all the above makes seance only iv been to bed layed there for two hours and have ended up getting up because all I do is think and every thing goes through ones head,these nights drive me mad.
The feeling I have isn't all the time.  I fact I may not have it for several weeks.  When it ocurrs it feels like my bra is too tight but I do not have one on.  It is a tight circle feeling under my rib cage.  I hope that explains it.  
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/299003

I located this thread where there was another conversation about tightness in the chest.  Maybe something here will hit a note and help you with your question.  

Take care.
Thanks for the suggestion but doesn't deal with my band around the diagram area.  I have angina and get heart burn so I experence tightness of the chest.  This is completely different.  
Any more suggestions I would appreciate.
Hi diaphragm

I know my post was quite long but you did not say if this is the same thing your experiencing.

Although you have said yours is more like a tight bra so may be yours is not the same as mine is a gentle squeeze.

Hope you find this problem out.

Best wishes

Terrie
You may want to repost your question in the Expert Forum...perhaps they could assist you.

Good luck.
I had the same bizarre creepy smothering start up over several years ago & it scared the bejeez outta me and finally, we ended up at ER for about to leave for a cruise & did not want to be deathly-impaired in another country or out at sea...it was DEF not a heart attack but inconclusive. Later, it occured more & more on a pretty good scheduile or basis--especially, it comes on some months only if I am riding on a long car trip & will feel like my innards are all tortured & 'squashed' at the bra line,,,uncomfy, spastic-like & breath-taking and then, I might get a couple of months a free pass,,,and all of a sudden, it comes on again. It was said to be Tieze--now I am dealing with an autoimmune DX (wish I knew whichall!!) so it brings it to another QUESTION--maybe it is that--to be an underlying symptom to the obvious once it is found!!! Crazy crazy our bodies can be & scary really too...this makes for a sweet release in a nice way as to be 'able to HELP one another' since getting into a super listening & focused med group is a hard wait & if not, still expensive to boot, too!!!
I am sorry I didn't get back to you but what you are experiencing does not seem to be the same.  I know the feeling that every muscle in your body hurts.  I had what I thought was a good job which I have had to give up.  Every night every muscle in my body hurt and I hade times when I said things to a customer that should not have been said.  It is very hard to be nice when you are hurting.  I am now on Lyrica and that has taken the pain away but not the fatique.  I know it is expensive but my doctor said living with constant pain is not a way to live.  I have gotten it down to 75mg in the morning and 50 mg at night and it seems to keep the pain away.  The fatigue is still present.  At time I just have to sit down and give in to the disease.  I am now also addressing my heart condition again.  I have not decided whether to let them go in and take another look at my heart.  Last time they dislodged the soft plaque and I had worse problems.  But you know you can always find someone in worse medical condition.
Back to the constriction below my rib cage.  It is something I can live with but would like to know what causes the tightness. I think the suggestion of posting it on the expert web site is a good one.  I am new at using this site but think it is good.

Thanks everyone and good luck.

Just to tag  on real quick, I too have this type of problem. To the extreme I have had to unhook my bra at social functions and others places in order to get some relief from the feeling. Have tried many different bra styles & sizes, sometimes they helped, but like you described I never know when it will flare up. I have the fibro along with liver disease so I have no clue which could be the cause or if it's something else completely. I dread the bra situation and the pain/probs that go with. Thanks for sharing this cuz now I know it's not all "in my head".
SuzyQ
I think what you have discribed is the same feeling I experience.  I also have tried to unhook my bra but doesn't give relief.  At least we know we are not alone. Is there anybody out in the internet world that can help the 2 of us.  With everything else wrong with our bodies I guess we can live with this but would like an explanation if possible.