Fibromyalgia Community
toxic muscles and trigger points

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

toxic muscles and trigger points

I have had FMS for 30 years and also have Chronic Myofascial Pain.  I am well advanced in both issues.  I have had a poor diet and lack of exercise for the last 10 years, and I know I have to persue treatments that will reverse the damage I have done to my body.  This leads to my question:  How do I present my symptoms of toxic muscles and painful trigger points to a physician in a way that will be taken seriously?
I would suggest that you consider finding an osteopathic doctor rather than a regular medical doctor.  I also have myofascial pain and it has been taken very seriously by osteopaths I've seen.  I also had a great chiro at one point who understood myofascial pain issues very well, unfortunately I moved and can no longer to to that doctor, but if you can't find an osteopath, calling area chiros or even massage therapists and asking if they have experience/expertise in this area may be another alternative.

As you note, you really need a physical treatment for the myofascial trigger points, in my experience regular MD's just want to through pain killers at it, treating the symptoms but not the underlying cause.
Oh, I also wanted to mention that I've found a product called "theracane" to be a very useful form of self-care.  It is an inexpensive hooked shaped device that makes it easy to apply pressure to your trigger points.  It comes with an instruction booklet, but I often just "wing it" and use it however feels best.
I just wanted to thank you for responding.  I didn't find an osteopath despite a 7 day search on the internet.  I was going bonkers.  I finally settled on an MD that is also an occupational therapist.  I went to see her yesterday.  I've had FMS for 30 years and am still amazed at how little doctors actually listen to us.  She did want to prescribe meds, but I really want to get off as many as I can and still function.  The muscles in my neck and shoulders are rock hard and though I love my chiropractor, he does nothing but adjustments.  The new MD has ordered physical therapy with ultrasound and perhaps intermittent traction.  I have to loosen up the muscles before starting TrP therapy.  I'm thinking of starting with injections as I get toxic headaches from any type of massage.

I was just looking as the "theracane" on Amazon.  Thanks for the recomendation.  Most of getting some improvement in my condition is going to be self care and self education, which seems necessary for self defense.  Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.  God bless,
Donna
Theracane is a MUST. My friend loaned me his and I basically refused to give it back. :-)