Fibromyalgia Community
under rib cage pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

under rib cage pain

For almost two months I've had pain and general soreness in the front upper abdominal area.  I've had every test you can think of and nothing is showing up.  At first they thought it was kidney infections.  I did show proof of this in both urine and blood tests.  After antibiotc treatment tests showed nothing.  It hurts all the time especially when touched.  I do not have a gallbladder.  My chiropracter thinks it is my diaphram and that my fibromyalgia is now in this area.  What can I do?  I have all over pain almost all the time so I don't know when something new is happening but this pain under my ribs is new and constant.  My energy level is low to begin with but since this new pain my energy level is steadily going down.  it takes all I can muster just to walk a block.  Please help!  Lois
Hi I have had FM for six years and mine acutally started in my rib cage. I also was tested for everything that the doctors could think of and everything came back fine.  Also I dont know if you knew this or not but irritable bladder is a sign of fibromyalgia, I have always had a little blood in my urine and my doctor said after testing my bladder that everything was fine and that it is a symptom of FM.  The only thing I can do to take my rib  and under rib pain away is to lay in a hot bath,  Now that wont take it away completely but it will ease it for a while. Also I have heard and have just recently started taking a vitamin every morning to try to gain some more strength in the day.  A friend I have also has FM and her family doctor suggested that she take a multivitamin each day . My friend said it actually is working to make her feel better.  I dont know if its true but I am willing to try anything at this point.  I just want to feel better. I hope that helps.

Bella
I too have also had rib cage pain. I too also see a chiro and it helps in addition to my meds. Try yoga. It has helped me alot!! Hope you feel better.
hi.  i had something really similar.  i was told it was my diaphram.  nothing every really relieved it.  i went to myofascial release (see http://www.myofascialrelease.com/home.asp) and it was gone first visit, along with sooo many other things.  there may be someone that is 'barnes' trained in your area. hope this helps!  kimpton
its probably chondritis my chiro uses an activator on my ribs front and back usually brought on by illness viral mine was due to injury i fell on top of a chair 2 yrs ago also massage works MPS is my dx or tps , you can try acupuncture ? also ck your vit d level , my endo says my thyroid is causeing my issues its hypo acting
What is chondritis?
from my understanding its the ligament and tendons that attach to the bone  of the ribs and for some reason if they get bruised or damaged like virus or injury it take forever to quiet down if they will its an inflammation irritation soreness pain burning , now depending on how you sit at a desk or on the couch we tend to hunch over for hours and we must be constricting the blood flow or artheritis is cause a problem so some people take glucosimine or chondrotin and msm you see it at walmart for artheritis  i'm allergic to sulfer water and drugs sulfa all of it so i can't take chondrotin or msm but i take glucosimine its at walmart , i also go to the chiro he uses the activator  on my pressure points and the rib alignment so stay natural as possible is my belief .
Thank you so much.  I do believe this is what I have.  I did some searches and found it's very common w/ fibro .  Will bring this info to DR tomorrow.