Fibromyalgia Community
valium for spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

valium for spasms

Valium (diazepam) is the only thing that works for muscle spasms which I suffer from greatly, Im in Ireland and just wondered........anyone else have to take it and how often?
I had bad back spasms for a short while and doc gave me valium just in case (I went crazy until my body stablized again.)  Based on alternative blood test and hair sample I showed very high calcium.  Read Sherry Rogers envirnomental books on cfs, she talks about importance of magnesium to so many body functions.

So long story long, calcium and magnesium both deal with muscle spasm and contraction and are opposites in the body to keep in balance.  (Many minerals operate as opposites.)  So I doubled my magnesium.  Helped sort of but didn't feel right, too tense.  So I cut out calcium, and lots of improvement happened to fatigue, and muscle use, and cognitive function.  

My point isn't to cut out calcium.  We're each unique.  It's just that beyond valium as needed, playing with vitamins and their balance may help more permanently.  I've since found the magn gluconate better than the regular oxide one, but that only comes in small amounts so I take one pill of each magne type.  Low postassim can also cause spasms (including of the heart if it gets low enough.)  That has to be doc tested and prescribed.  I know several people who use calcium for menstrual cramps the way the rest of us use motrin!

I never did take the valium, used heating pad, hot bath (before I knew it was bad for the dysautonmia and caused rebound pain increases).  So I can't answer directly what you asked.  My doc wasn't concerned with short term use at all and wasn't very worried about it if probably if I used it longer term.

The alternative tests gave me the idea, but I have no reason to believe they are actually accurate tests.  The hair test doesn't make sense since I use shampoo on my hair which changes it's contents, but oh well - I improved.