First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
19 days old

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

19 days old

My daughter is 19 days old, I love her but I gotta say, she's driving me nuts! She doesn't sleep much at night and all she wants to do is eat, but I can't just keep feeding her because she's got reflux, and after each feeding I have to keep her laying on my chest for an hour so she doesn't vomit, ugh so tiring, I'm going crazy because I don't sleep.
well babies at that age dont sleep much and yes they like to eat, are you breast feeding as very often they feed more and its also the bonding process going on..is she on any meds for the reflux? maybe trying burping her more see if that helps ..What you may have to do it get a nap during the day when she is sleeping until she settles more ...others may have further ideas understand the tiredness but this stage will pass. good luck and Congrats on her birth
I agree the sleeping will get better.  is it an option for u to give her rice cereal in her bottle at night? a lot of people don't like to but my mom told me to do it at 3 weeks bc my daughter is such a hungry baby n ever since 3 weeks shes slept through the night for me. a full 8 hours. I swear by it. I give her a tblsp to 4 oz of formula at around her 10pm feeding n she will sleep til at least 6 sometimes longer now. I feed her every 3 hrs so I make up for the missed feeding at night. as far as the reflux. my pediatrician put my daughter on zantac and switched her formula to enfamil ar and so far its done a WORLD of difference. she was forcefully throwing up n choking on it out her nose n screaming from the pain n so far its stopped. shes been on both for about 2 weeks now. keep your head up :o) things will get better
The thing is that she will sleep all day and wake up every 3 hours sometimes 4 to eat, but at night she's fussy, I don't know how to change her schedule so she sleeps more at night but awake during the day, my mom tells me I have to wake her up during the day at least 2 times and keep her up for an hour each time, but I feel bad waking her up,  I may not have a choice if I want to sleep, I try to nap while she does but I think because of the stress its hard to, if it weren't for my hunnys help at night I'd die from stress, the Dr has her on Zantac, twice a day till she's a month, she's doing good so far, he has me putting it in her bottle so she won't choke on it if I give it to her with a syringe, her vomiting was so bad when we first got out of the hospital that I had to take her to the ER after only being home for like two hours and she was immediately admitted to the NICU, especially because she was only 5 lbs and could easily dehydrate, but  I hope things get better soon,  its hard to be a parent but it's the bestthing in the world, I was breastfeeding up till wednesday but because of her reflux it was hard to monitor how much she ate, she was always hungry after breastfeeding so I would supplement with formula (enfamil gentlease) but then she would over eat and vomit, so I had to stop breastfeeding, I only give her breastmilk once a day so she gets at least a bit, thanks ladies by the way for your responses, this FTM forum doesn't get used much. .
In my opinion no rice cereal in her bottle can make reflux worse.shes far too young .
well everyone has their own opinion like I said but the formula that's for reflux has rice cereal in it already so... anyway I let her sleep when she wanted to n she did go through a phase where she was up all night but trying to put a newborn on a schedule is ridiculous and I agree I would feel bad waking her up.. eventually she put herself on a good schedule .. it is exhausting though. at least u have help :o) my mom helped a lot and I would have lost my mind without her. imagine doing it all on your own! ugh! I'm sorry u have to go through all this and I hope it gets better soon :o)
I've been giving my son rice cereal in his formula since he was 2 1/2 weeks old. not to get him to sleep all night, but bcos formula alone wouldn't satisfy him anymore. so since then he's been eating every 5-6 hrs and at night he sleeps a good 7-8 hrs. i hope your situation gets better and deffinately sleep when you can. every little bit counts.
Thank you
I just want to comment on rice cereal in the bottle.  It used to be a pretty standard practice - very commonly done and Dr.'s didn't think it was an issue.  But, like so many things, as Dr's learn more, things change.  It is now recommended by the American Pediatric Association NOT to put rice cereal in bottles.  For a couple of reasons.  One is that it can indeed make reflux worse and babies digestive systems are just to immature for it.  Second is that it is a potential choking hazard.  In very extreme cases Dr's will recommend it, but unless your Dr. has recommended it it is a very bad idea.  Please do not do this without your Pediatricians approval.  This is not opinion, it is based on the American Pediatric Association guidelines and recommendations.  

Reflux is hard, but you are doing everything right.  Baby is on medication and you are doing everything you can to help her.  As for sleeping - lots of babies have a tougher time at night.  But it passes and before you know it she will be on a better schedule.  In the meantime, when she is sleeping, grab a nap whenever possible.  Don't worry too much about housework, etc. it'll wait. Grab a warm bath, a nap, take care of you a little bit.  This stage passes before you know it.  Mine was an awful sleeper as well...up every hour through the night.  It's tough, but you will get through it.  Take good care.
Thank you for your response
Zantac is really helping her reflux :)
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources