First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
Advice Needed

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

Advice Needed

So my baby is now 2 weeks old and I am having a problem with getting her to stay asleep in her bassinet. During the day she will sleep in it for about an hour to an hour and a half at a time but once it's evening time, she will only stay asleep in there for about 15-20 minutes and that's it.  Nighttime is the worst and I eventually have to put her in the bed with us, which is what I don't want.  Does anyone ave any suggestions or advice?  I would gladly appreciate it.
Newborns do have erratic sleep habits, but your infant does not appear to be getting sufficient sleep. Look to see if her nose gets plugged when she is lying down. This could occlude her breathing and wake her up. Another sign of this problem is sleeping with her mouth open. If this is the problem (sleep apnea), talk to your pediatrician about it.

Another possibility occurs to me. She may not be getting enough food, or she may not be being fed often enough. Although hungry, she has a tiny stomach so needs frequent feeding. There is a period, lasting maybe three weeks, when they seem to eat constantly. If your baby fusses, the first thing to try is feeding her.

As for putting her in bed with you, that is temporary and has a lot to do with frequent feeding. Sometimes when I took the baby to my bed (in the middle of the night when I was groggy) I would feed her and the next thing I knew the sun was shining and I had had a good sleep. So had the baby (who once or twice was still attached).

Enjoy your baby. It is a wonderful time for both of you.
Thank you for your advice. This is my first baby and my mother passed away 3 years ago so I have no where to turn for advice and sometimes feel as if I have no idea what I'm doing. Her nose is not plugged and her mouth is closed when she sleeps. I do breastfeed her and it seems like she's always hungry.
In the first couple of months they eat a lot and get very chubby. Then they slack off and you worry that they are not getting enough. Be prepared. This is entirely normal.
Thank you so much. I thought that something was wrong because she always seems to be hungry. I didn't know that was normal this early on. She's 3 weeks old today ;)
In the first month three of my four babies each gained more than four pounds. The fourth (the only boy) was more of a fussy eater. But he didn't slow down when they did. All were breastfed.  

I know you are a new mother, but we women are all born with a maternal instinct. You know more than you think. It is in your genes.
Thank you so much for your kind words :)
A word about instinct. Sometimes someone will give you advice. It could be your pediatrician, a mother of 12, a school teacher, a psychologist, or your favorite sister. For some reason you are not comfortable with what he or she has to say. You may not even know why. It just seems wrong for your child. Don't ignore your inner voice. While learning as much as you can, seek other opinions until you find one that sounds right to you.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources