First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
Baby blues :(

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

Baby blues :(

My son is a week old today, but lately I have been experiencing baby blues. I cry all the time without reason. I love the little guy to death and would do anything for him. We had a lot of problems breastfeeding in the beginning, and now I find that I am highly anxious and stressed when I think about feeding him. Once we start feeding, I am fine, but when hes sleeping I almost dread the thoughts of him waking up to be fed. (I have already spoken with my doctor and will be sent to a psychiatrist if things dont improve within the next few days)

Has anyone else went through the baby blues and or PPD.What kinds of things did you do to help you deal with the emotions.
I can't say that I had ppd but baby blues for sure. Lol. I too tried to breastfeed my dd but for me it became a very emotional issue (still is to be honest) I was only able to breast feed for two Weeks. I did not make enough to keep up with her because in the hospital she was introduced to formula because she wouldn't wake to eat after 7 hours. then she had trouble latching and got to the point where we both got frustrated and she wanted nothing to do with me after awhile. Sorry to say she now gets formula. We worked with a counselor and everything. It's very hard and I must give you a hand for making it so long. If your feeling to overwhelmed try and walk away ask someone to help with the bby. Do what you can for yourself when bby is sleeping. I personally would recommend going to see a psychiatrist because they can teach you new coping skills. I have seen one for years and she taught me a lot. Plus we're always here to talk :-)  keep your head up and remember your doing great.
I also wanted to add if for some reason you are unsuccessful at breastfeeding please do not feel like a failure. I felt this way and honestly still do sometimes but we have no reason too. At least we tried are trying as long as our child is provided for we're doing wonderful
I have sooo been where you are. I too had major issues breast feeding. I was a complete mess those first few weeks. I so desperately wanted to breast feed but I had major supply issues that I could not correct despite seeing three lactation consultants, pumping and nursing around the clock, etc. I felt like a complete failure as a woman and I did not expect the resulting depression to be so bad. Like you, I had a ton of anxiety over feeding and dreaded it. Just know that you are not alone in feeling this way. For me, I finally made peace with the issue after a while (tho it's hard to sit there and watch all these other mom's breast feed during my mom's group), and the depression has subsided. I think seeing a therapist is a very good idea- in hindsight I probably should have. As far as how I dealt with it, I think mainly just talking about it with other women on forums like this helped immensely. Good luck!
This is very common, with my first I felt I couldn't cope I too struggled with breast feeding I had too much milk and baby couldn't catch her breath but by trial and error I learned how to cope ,I learned how to pump the extra milk off which was used to feed premature babies,  it definately caused my state of mind in not coping, its did go away once I was home and into a routine ..I went on to feed for a few months .It will be okay ..let some time go by and all will be well ..
We no longer live in extended families. In the past there was always a mother, or a maiden aunt, or a sister to pinch hit for us. And we were not alone. It is not natural to be isolated with a baby. That is a modern-day problem.

The solution for the blues is company. Take you baby and go visit a friend. Invite people to the house. Go to a movie (with your baby tucked under your shawl). Go to a sidewalk cafe. Sit in the sun and have a good cup of coffee.  GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources