First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
Introducing solids

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

Introducing solids

Hi, my baby is just now 6 months old and I've been trying to introduce solids. I plan on making all of his food at home. A few weeks ago I tried oatmeal with a little bit of breastmilk. He ate a few bites. Then I read that it was better for them to start at 6 months. So a few days ago I gave him avocado, and he threw it up. Not just spit it up, he vomited everything that in his tummy. So I just assumed that he didn't like avocado very much. lol. Today I gave him more oatmeal and breastmilk but he was gagging after the first bite. I gave him another bite and he kept it all down. I am purééing everything and mixing it with my hand expressed breastmilk. So I know he's not choking on it and I know the milk isn't bad. Is this just because he's not used to other flavors yet? What should I do? Should I be persistent. I'm only trying once/day right now. Help.
*
they will spit up more than they eat at first. The pediatrician told me to introduce the foods one flavor a week... for exaple this week banana ONLY, next week Apple and Banana ONLY, ect.. this way you can see if the reaction is to the particular food, and help you to narrow down any food allergies.
also, he told me to watch the colors... white&yellow introduce first - easier to digest and green&red introduce LAST as they are harder to digest and can cause a lot of gassy and fussiness.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources