First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
Naptime nightmare

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

Naptime nightmare

I am just getting so frustrated with my daughter's napping issues. She's tired! She's so tired she's cranky. I end up putting her on the breast so she'll fall asleep (she fights it any other way), and then if I try to put her down in her crib once she is asleep, she wakes up within 5-10 min. She'll sleep a good hour or more if I hold her but I don't want to be stuck having to hold her every time she needs to nap! I can't do that. I personally am not in favor of CIO so that's not an option. I am at my wits end... I would love to hear others stories about problem nappers and if/how you figured out a way to fix it?
I wouldn't let a small child cry it out anyway so you may be stuck with what you are doing till shes older see it forms a habit, she wants to be held by her momma, maybe watch some TV or listen to some music whilst you hold her. The routine will change as she gets older, for better hopefully .it is tiring however everything changes ..
I'll tell you, I could probably write a book on this subject.  I think some kids just fight sleep, mine being one of them and sounds like possibly yours too.  I tried cio and also just wasn't comfortable with it.  We did eventually establish a pretty good routine that seemed to work, so I'll share with you in hopes that some of it works for you.

I stopped trying to put him to sleep in his crib.  When really small (not sure how old your daughter is), I used a co sleeping bed attached to my bed or a basinette.  He seemed to do better in the smaller space - cozier perhaps?.  I started putting him down drowsy instead of asleep.  So I would rock him until he got semi asleep, then put him down.  I think he then knew where he was (if he woke up), but it was no longer scary.  I would go in and sit near him without picking him up.  I often rubbed his back or talked quietly and soothingly to him which seemed to help.  Sometimes just seeing me seemed to help.  

Sleep is such a tough one.  When they get overtired (as my son often did), it actually makes it harder to get them to sleep.  A  book that helped me was "Healthy sleep habits, happy baby"

I personally feel that all children are different.  Some things will work for one child and not for another.  I finally gave in and began co sleeping and still do today.  For me it works, but don't do that unless you are prepared to have it go long term as it gets to be a harder habit to break the older they get.

I wish you all the best.
I agree with co sleeping ,it works for many families
Infants like snug spaces, having been wrapped tightly for nine months. That is why she wants to be held by you. It's not so much you as it is the environment she is used to. I swaddled mine when they were very little and I never put them in a big crib - just one of those carry boxes for babies. For my first baby, when she was sleepy I would sometimes take a nap with her. Otherwise she usually slept on her own.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources