First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
When did your baby say his/her first word?

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

Our little one said her first word this morning!!  I was giving her, her applesauce and medicine when she looked at me and clear as day said "momma"!!  So I started looking to see when other babies start saying words to see where she is developmentally.  now I know every baby is different and develops at different rates.  The earliest I found was 4months.  Sydney is 3 months!  She can't be the only one, When did yours say their first word?  I'm just curious, no baby is behind just develops in their own time!  She said her first word but still hasn't mastered rolling over :).  I guess she's backwards.
33%
 (2) 
not yet, just babbles
33%
 (2) 
4 months or younger
33%
 (2) 
4-6 months
0%
 (0) 
after 6 months
6 Members voted
We had boys so of course their first words were Dad-dah.  As a rule of thumb with our kids we don't do baby talk to them, we talk to them normally.  So they learn real words and real ways of saying things.  It has always seemed to help with their speech development.
cool!... does she says it a lot when she sees you or just was one time?  also is she 3 month sharp/ or almost 4 months?..just curious aswell.

My baby boy answer us  when we talk to him or sing to him and he is only 2 monts, he says something that sounds like "yes"...lol..but the rest are just sounds and ooo aa and so!

he is today 2monhts and 2 weeks , also he holds his head already, 25 " l and 15pounds... he si growing so fast, he tries to crawl already and moves just a tiny bit..
at 2 months exactly he starts screaming when feeling tires and couldn go to sleep so i was in panic like (why the behavior?)  since last thursday he has not do it at all, he is back to normal crying...I googled and there  i founded out that they go through this bewt 7 to 9 weeks old..who knew?
He is my first one and i am discovering things everyday
The first time she said it she was looking at me, she has said twice since once I was walking toward her and she was looking at me.  The second I was at work and she said it to my husband.  now she is almost 4 months when she said it she was 13 weeks not yet 3 months because of the day she was born.  Wow 15 lbs, that's great!  Sydney was 12.2 lbs last week at 3.5 months and only 22" your gonna have a big boy :).  She is right on schedule for growth spurts also.  It's so fun watching her learn everyday!
Thanks so much for reminding me of these milestones.  I only have 7-9 more weeks before I start to experience them again.  Love reading your posts :D
YAY! Our little girl will be 3 months in 8 days and she looked right in my eyes smiled nice and big and said momma just perfectly last night! I can't believe how smart and quick she is! She can already support her body weight on her little feet and legs and sit's up like a champ! She was 11 days late when she was born and the day she came out she already could support her head and focused like no baby i have ever seen! I'm terrified but so happy that she is so advanced, I'm going to have my hands full I know that lol!
wow thats great she is an advanced little one, sometimes they do babble a lot and its always exciting for parents to hear that first little word  , when you say sits up do you means she sits up unaided or is propped up ?
My baby girl is 15 weeks today!! and She has already said momma and hi!!! I'm so thrilled. She can hold her weight on her feet and tried to crawl. she's 24" long and weighs about 17lbs. now. I posted on Facebook about her first words in excitement, and I just got crap for it. No one believes me. I mean I know It's soon, but I work with her 24/7, she's a smart baby and I'm glad to see she's not the only one!! thank you guys!!
Ashley B.
Our daughter, Tabitha, was saying "Hello" absolutely perfect around 11 wks, & intact I have a 2 min video @ 11wks 2days,that I watch regularity, where she says 'hello' than 50 seconds later as I'm saying "luv u" 3-4X not expecting any reply, she follows it up w/a very deliberate concentrated attempt @ luv u w/"hoo-koo".  It wasn't like she did it on demand the 1st few wks she was doing it & u would have to repeat it usually over & over while her eyes looked like they were goin pop their sockets-such concentration OMG. Sumtimes we try & nut'n but w/in 2wks of her 1st time she was saying 'hello' constantly. Story is not a happy ending, Tabi, perfectly healthy & thriving, past away March 7, 2012 - SIDS. Still grieving, she was only child & very luved. Thank u for letting me share this, its been hard.
Mommy &I miss U Tabi SO MUCH, Luv daddy
Mommy &I miss U Tabi SO MUCH, Luv daddy
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources