First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
babies eyes

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

babies eyes

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with a baby with eye problems.

I’m a first time mom and don’t know what is normal and what’s not, but I’m concerned.

My boy is 3 months old (almost 14weeks), since he was born he looks up most of the time.

At 10 weeks old he tried looking at toys, but he’s eyes always rolled up again and he never looked at my face.

I took him to an eye specialist at 12 weeks, but he said i shouldn’t worry too much and he can’t really find anything wrong.

He’s eyes has improved allot up to now, he doesn’t look up as much anymore and has started looking at me and following toys a little better and also just started reaching for toys, but it seems like his one eye is looking towards the inside a bit more although they do move in the same direction.

I’m hoping he’s just a little bit slow and will catch up soon. I going to wait until he is 4 months old and then have his eyes checked again.
It could be something that'll correct on it's own.
I have a friend that had a preemie and she noticed this in her son at around 9 months. His one eye would go inwards a lot and she knew someething wasn't right. You could tell from pictures and everything. Her doc said it could be normal and that he didn't have a prominant bridge on his nose so it was like an illusion that his eye looked like that. She didn't believe that to be the reason so she got a second opinion and now she has to patch his eye for 2-3 hours every day, he wears glasses and actually had surgery on that eye.
That may not be the case for your son but follow your instincts and get it checked out and if you don't like the answer...get a second opinion. The earlier you get to problems like this the better the outcome!
thanks for your reply,
my son was born 3 weeks early and was very tiny so i hope he's just behind a little although my friends with younger babies seems to have more control over their eyes. i did read that for some babies it can take up to 6 months to get full control over their eyes.
i'm taking him to his nurse at the clinic on friday and will ask her what she thinks and then go from there.
I understand how concerned you are and congratulations on the birth of your baby boy, this is normal  I do think it always good to speak to the doctor about any concerns ..let us know how the little one is doing ..
hi
Just an update on my babies eyes. He is 6 months old now and he definitely do have problems with his sight. We are seeing the doctor again in 3 weeks so we can start treatment.
You're such a good Mom! You noticed this problem, continued to question it, and are now seeking treatment. Because you've caught it early enough there shouldn't be much if any developmental delay. Kudos to you!! Our daughter had similar "lazy" right eye.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources