First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
babys umbilical cord.

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

babys umbilical cord.

Today I noticed my sons umbilical cord had a smell to it and was also leaving stains on his shirt so I decided to call his dr, his dr says it sounds like an infection and would like to be seen tomorrow. What could I do for my baby, I feel so bad like I failed him. how severe are infections and what could possibly happen?
Don't worry too much. Your doctor will give you advice. The smell could just be the umbical cord rotting. It is rotting flesh. My son's smelled SO bad when it was very close to falling off.
He may not have an infection at all but seeing the doc is a good idea. It's nothing you've done. I think it's quite common.
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources