First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
colic

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

colic

Hi my baby is 2 weeks old and is having colic. Is there something I can do to alleviate the problem? Hope someone is here this is my first child so I'm pretty lost and just learning by trial and error :/
Unfortunatley i didnt have that problem but I have heard that you can try gripe water for colic....i know that if you go to a drug store or a babies r us there are lots of different products out there that are supposed to help the colic

maybe you could talk to your doctor and he/she could give you tips on what to do
You know I read about colic and in my personal opinion don't believe there is such a thing. It's just a reason people give when they don't know when their baby is crying constantly. To me...it seems like a baby is crying for a reason. Not trying to make you feel bad or anything by any means! I feel for you and I called it colic when talking to people because that's the only way I could explain how he was spending his days!

My baby had gas pains from the very beginning and I was told that it would get better when he got older and that gas was normal but it got to the point where he was spending most of his day crying and upset. I tried all of the things like gripe water, simthecone (sp?) drops, natural drops with chammomile, peppermint water, baby yoga, tummy rubs and different holds. I eventually took dairy out of my diet (I breastfeed) and what a difference in my baby!! Complete turn around!
Not saying that will help your baby but I spent countless hours trying to find out what was wrong with him and I was willing to try and get down to the root of things!
I hope everything turns out ok and hang in there. It's awfully frustrating and if you need a break or help, don't be afraid to ask for it! Or even if you have to vent, go for it!!
Colic is caused by gas. Also try to make sure its gas that is the problem and not Gerd (reflux) If it is reflux your pediatrician might have you add a tiny bit of rice to the milk. If it is gas buy colic calm at cvs. It is a gripe water and the only one that works. Also buy the miracle swaddler, my little one liked being wrapped tight in it when her belly was upset, it eased the pain. I also switched to soy formula and/or took dairy out of my diet. If the baby isn't a good burper simithicone can help. Lastly tummy rubs. Sometimes you can feel the gas pockets and help move the trapped air along by gently rubing in a circular motion using baby oil.
My son had colic! I tried everything to soothe him, even baths. I then switched his formula to similac sensitive and hes been happy ever since!
Gripe water or infant gas formula can help too.  Just noticed this post was older, but curious if you had any updates for what helped you eventually.  Would love to have an update :D
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources