First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
feeding 5 day old

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

feeding 5 day old

my son is 5 days old. since he came home he eats 2+ oz of formula. anything less than 2oz he is NOT satisfied. the problem is, he doesn't always burp, and I try between ozs. so he spits up! if he burps he's fine.

then he gets hiccups. at random times during the day which also causes him to spit up, SOMETIMES. I'm gonna call the pedi on monday, just figured I'd see if anyone else has gone thru this ?!

I know he eats a lot for his age, but he screams unless he gets more!
Ahh.  Congrats on the baby!!  How are you burping him?  I only ask because I had no idea all the ways to burp a newborn when I had my first.  I would pat his little back.  Eventually I learned that if I just hod him upright, he often burped.  And if I gently rubbed his back, burp.  Sometimes I'd sit him tummy down on my knee and burp burp burp.  

My oldest son was king of spit up though.  Oh, it looked like his whole feeding would come back up.  My pediatrician told me that it often looks like a ton but isn't.  It is like any other liquid, it spreads out and looks like a lot even if it is a little.  So, he is probably getting the right amount of nutrition.

I did find my oldest boy, king of burping and spitting up, did do well with some stomach gas drops.  Seemed to soothe him a little.  

anyway, always check with your doctor as you say you are going to do.  But I suspect all is fine and your baby is going to grow right on track.  Lots of luck to you.  
thank you ! :) I usually try to burp him by patting him on the back or over my shoulder. sometimes all I gotta do is sit him upright and he burps on his own right away! lol he's so stubborn. but yes when he does spit up it does look like a lot ! as tho it's more than half his food, so it makesme worried :/ but it makes me glad to hear that im not the only one whos going / went thru this!
No, this is a common baby issue.  :>)  Spill a little milk on your floor . .  even a teaspoon and look at how much it looks like.  Always looks like more than it is.  Your doctor will have the best advice for you but it comforted me to realize that it looks like more than it is.  And my boy gained weight on target as I am just sure yours will as well.  

You take care and enjoy your little one!
Thank you so much ! :D x
My baby was in the NICU and my nurse taught me how to burp him. I sit him on my knee, palm the side off his head and pat and rub his back. Then, if he still hasnt burped, I tickle up his spine. This makes him arch back slightly, getting the burp out!

BUT please know that babies do not always have to burp. Change positions or wait a minute. If still nothing, let it go!

And lastly, if my baby starts to hiccup, I give him his binky! It takes a few minutes, but the air takes it right away! :) The nurses taught me that too!
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources