First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community
open sore on birthmark

WELCOME TO THE FIRST-TIME PARENT’S COMMUNITY: This is a support community for parents of children aged 0 to 6 months. Discussions in this community are related to the medical, financial and social challenges new parents face including development, sleep issues, babysitters, crying, teething, diapering, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, selecting a pediatrician, when to call the doctor, and all other new parent concerns.

open sore on birthmark

So my almost 2 month old has a birthmark on her bum and along the side of it has broken open into an ulcer... needless to say it hurt when she would pee or poop and in no time was getting bigger and bigger...I didn’t find too much on the internet about this so that’s why I’m writing this, just in case i can help out another new parent who has to go through this...

So what I’ve learned so far is baby skin is delicate already and this type of birthmark makes it more delicate so for the area that its in is too harsh for it as i have to wipe her bum constantly through the day... So i started out by getting some polysporin ointment and hoped that would create a protected environment that would aid in healing, well it didn’t and it was getting bigger by the day, it seemed like the ointment wouldn’t stick to the wound as it was always wet from being open... so then i started mixing it with some bum cream which did help but whenever i changed her bum it would be wiped off.... i then tried to put a water proof band aid on the area hoping to keep it clean but it didn’t stick well due to the Vaseline id been using for the rest of her bum.... so i was kind of at a stand still so i looked to the internet for anything i could find... i googled "ulcer on birthmark, laceration" ect. any word that could be close to what someone else may use... and i found one that was written really well, she talked about the stress of it all and that they actually ended up changing Drs as her Dr couldn’t tell her  much and when she found a specialist the first thing they said was the ulcer was going to get worse before better and that pain control was the most important part to deal with along with avoiding infection... so this helped me cause i was really worried about it getting bigger.... So anyway this all happened at the start of the long weekend so when Tuesday finally came i headed for my GP for advise... she is young, which means new and also new to the clinic so she was really cautious on how she approached the issue, she listened to what i had learned and agreed with what i was doing, and phoned a dermatologist for their opinion and they said the exact same thing i discussed with my Dr.... she said to boil water to make sure its clean then when the water is cooled then use that to gentility cleanse the area(she had used a cotton ball at the clinic but depending on the area this may not be a good idea so use your judgement), then put some "kids polysporin" (has lidocaine for pain) put a sterile 2x2 and use a band aid to hold in place.... well i did get some 2x2s and could use them but instead I’m just using the band aids on their own... i fold the sticky parts inward so there is only a small amount of stick left so i don’t break down more skin changing it so much, then each time i cleanse the area and change the band aid with some polsysporin.... The band aid doesn’t stick well and that’s fine, it prevents the polysporin from getting wiped off from the band aid and she has stopped screaming every time she pees or poops... which if your dealing with this is awesome! its only been a few days and i cant tell if its worse or better yet but she is more comfortable and as long as i can keep an infections away i can handle this…

So because this is really hard to write when I have a toddler and a 2 month old its taking me a few days to get it posted so I can now update that the sore is bigger, id say its almost the size of a dime and I expect it to get to a dime size as the red area is about that big… Well anyway I went to town the other day and forgot the kids poly at home( not good) BUT I had some of the poly ointment I had been using at the start and there is a huge difference!! She peed and pooped and cried so hard it was heart breaking! So the kids poly is for sure the best thing ever invented!!! You can tell it does numb the area… thank goodness cause a little baby in pain is awful!

Ill add updated posts with any changes and i hope this post helps someone else... if you are dealing with something simular please add any advice that you have learned along the way...
I am so sorry its sounds to me as if she needs a doctor looking at this area again ...not certain what poly is used for is it an anti biotic cream ?That area is sensitive to wiping I am wondering if you put vaseline on once its healed do the urine doesn't cause any irritation .Let us know how she is doing ..
right polysporin ...lol I use the triple
ya i was being lazy and didnt want to type polysporin... the triple is what i had actually started with but the kids stuff is truly amazing as it controls the pain so well. i was just at the Dr today, the poor girl has an eye infection but the good news is i caught it right away and its already under control... so while i was there the Dr took a look at her bum and is happy that its still looking as good as it can and agreed that it would open to a dime size for sure (as big as the red area-its not the whole size of the birthmark) she also warned me that its most likely gonna break down as she grows until the skin gets thicker and stronger... im hoping it wont be like this but time will tell...
oh and i have always used vaseline and now put it on the surrounding area after i put the bandaid on... but i will for sure continue to protect the area till its a lot stronger... and that could be for a long while :( but im confident that we will get there!
Well today i was a little heart broken when i noticed the red area around the open area has gotten bigger :( so my hopes of the area not getting as big as the birthmark itself have been deflated... i was really hoping that some how it would just stop where it was at but i guess i should have known better from the few stories ive read online... i just feel so bad for her :( her birthmark is about the diameter of a D battery
A while ago with this kind of thing they used to use gentian violet not certain if its used now with new meds ...I think it may be good if you can to get a second opinion on how to heal this as the  the doc you are seeing keeps saying its okay ,,poor little mite is in a bit of pain from it
they used this open sores? ive never heard of it used for anything but thrush?
oh yes thats what it was used for ...but as I say always check with the doctor ,as things may have changed
i talked to the pharmacist today about any better choices for ointments or creams and she said the polysporin was probably as good as anything else but if there was a concern for infection i could get a stronger antibiotic... i talked specifically about vascular birthmarks and she agreed with what i was doing and the way she talked she seemed familiar with these birhtmarks so i felt a little more reassured that im doing what i can... i have her 2 month shots this week so ill be able to talk to the health nurse and see what they say... oh and if i can bug any of the other nurses working in the hospital ill get them to take a peek...they have way more experience with dressing than i do so im hoping someone good will be working.
That sounds like a good plan of action, if it does seem infected have a doctor take a look, let us know what the health nurse says about it..
talked to the health nurse today and she suggested i talk to the home care nurses as they are the queens of wound care and she knows of another baby who had to deal with the same situation except this poor little childs birth mark was right around the anus and the wound had tunnelled in so it needed to be packed daily by homecare but once they stepped in it improved drastically and they got it healed up... but saying that their child was also over a year old at this time so the skin was a lot tougher BUT i am open for any suggestions. so ill give them a call and see what they figure may work best... i have more to add and will try to get back on here but pretty busy right now...
Thanks for the update it always good to know ...well someone has got to know how you can deal with it, keep in touch ..
So i tried calling the home care nurse but the only number thats available in the phone book is the the home care coordinators number so i could call one of the girls at home but i dont think i will... i did take her to the Dr on friday tho just for some reasurance and for her to keep an eye on it as well and it was a good check up, she again said for what we are dealing with it really does look good, the open area is clean, no sign of infection and the area is remaining with in the birthmark perimeter so all of that is a good sign that i am doing a good job.... its most likely gonna get a little bigger yet and thats just the way its gonna be there is no magic dressing thats gonna prevent it or thats gonna heal it any faster.... its her skin that will have to get stronger (and it will) and time...AND on the one edge it does look like it may be starting to heal :)

Oh and i now am using sterile 2x2s cut in half on the area as the edge of the bandage was scratching her other bum cheek and was starting to look pretty sore.... also polysporin pain cream is the same as the one for kids and the polysporin pain ointment has 1 extra antibiotic in it... so i use the cream at night so its easier to see in dim lighting and the ointment in the day cause it comes in a bigger tube so it lasts longer
Sounds like you are doing the best you can until as you say the skin gets stronger' its hard for you to know whats the best thing but no doubt you are doing all you can to help your little one .Is she more comfortable now ?
I think im getting better keeping her comfortable... i honestly go through so many diapers its crazy! usually when im just about finished changing ehr she will poop... but just a little, then ill start over and she will pee, then again start over, and she will poop! in the 9 hours she has been up i have honestly went through over a dozen diapers! but she has only cried hard once today so thats pretty good! and the area that was looking sore from the bandage is cleared up

I also should add for anyone who may read this looking for advice that i do leave the area open to air through out the day... like if she just peed and had a big poop so i know im fairly safe leaving it exposed... also when i do tummy time i have her diaper off and under her as its a pretty safe position for the ulcer cause if she did pee or poo it wouldnt hit her bum....
Thats a good idea to leave the air to help heal the area ..I wish you luck keep us updated
So just an update... the whole birthmark area has now opened up and it is starting to heal! there is a small area on the one side that is healing really well and i think around all the edges it looks like its trying to! so this is awesome! i am still going through a crazy amout of polysporin but i have started to cut the 2x2s in half so they are lasting longer which really does make a difference :)
So glad you followed up , good news , I am happy the little ones  birthmark area has started to heal, bet you are feeling relieved .shows that old polysporin works well ..keep in touch
I am so relieved!! i just hope it heals fast! i know it will still be really delicate and have been warned that as she grows it will most likely break open here and there but this is a constant worry! i want to go visit my sister who lives 4 hours away and i dont want to until her bum heals more and winter is coming so id like to before the snow hits(not a big deal if i dont get there but it would be nice)
You have such a great attitude of caring I am sure it will work out for you ....when will you get snow , sounds early, we are having a heat wave ...lol
every year is different... there was a chance of snow this week but thankfully that changed... not that it would stick around long(grounds not frozen) but halloween is known for crappy blizzards or at least to be really cold! its really rare not to have the kids bundled up lol but last year the actual snow didnt really show up till almost january i think? I hate winter driving so much! i try to avoid it... and i live on a farm in the middle of nowhere! lol  
Yup I am in a quiet rural desert area ..I like being alone...I do have neighbours but not too near me ...
I am sooo happy to update that my lil girls sore is healed over! about 5 days ago or so the last tiny spot disappeared and diaper changes are sooo much better and i now have the time to experience the joys of potty training my other daughter.... another long battle but thankfully without all the tears!
Wow I am so glad for you ...I read the way you persevered , and its just great when you get a success..keep us in touch with her progress.and good luck you deserve it ..
First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community Resources