to lift/handle a newborn, do I strengthen my wrists more or my arms/upper body?
I'm not weak but I need to strengthen my upper body. I would like to know, to lift and handle a newborn, would I need to strengthen my wrists more or my arms/upper body? This is not a question about being careful etc. Of course, handling a newborn you must be careful. I'm not talking about that.

I noticed the other day with my maltipoo who's 9 pounds - he was lying on his back and I went to lift him and, being that he didnt want to be lifted, he acted as "dead weight" and I felt he was a bit heavy for me. However, I was on my knees (playing with him) and he was on the couch, which was neck-high at the time because I was on my knees, so my grasp on him wasn't great at all. I then got up and picked him up fine.

Also, would you recommend specific exercise routines to help strengthen me, and recommended reps? Thank you.
think I gave you my answer on pediatric forum
i think you need to strenghen your arms and back. i think yoga is great for this.