Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
Fish paralized

This forum is for questions and support regarding your fish & aquatic pets!

Fish paralized

I have a 5 gallon fish tank.  I had a bottom feader and two gold fish in it.  A week ago one of the gold fish died, a day or so before this happend the fish started swimming less and looked like it was sleeping on the bottom, but would swim normal when it did.  Then next thing it is floating on its side at the top paralized but still breathing.  i took it out and put it in its own bucket once in a while it would swim a short distance then float back to the top on its side and breath.  but the other two fish were okay. and if did pass away in a day

I purchased another gold fish same kind as in the tank at a different store.  My fish were all find for about 5 days, then yesturday both gold fish seemed to be sitting on the bottom of the tank like they were sleeping but they would both swim when they wanted.

today in the morning my bottom feeder was floating dead (who was completly fine yesturday) and the new fish i purchased was lying on its side at the top of the tank unable to move but still breathing.

the other gold fish seems to be okay, swimms like mad and then just chills.

anyone know whats wrong with my tank or can help me save my fish??????
the waters clear, i use an aqua safe when i put new water in, and i add it to the water before it goes into the tank
Tags: paralized, help me
I've had somewhat the same kind of problem, for me it was that the water got too hot for the fish. I was living in a dorm with no air conditioning and a very hot month. You should also have your equipment looked at- it very well be too much oxygen in the water. Or where your getting your fish from- or if your not introducing your new fish to the tank. You know where at first you put the bag the fish is in tied- into the tank let it float. Then every now in then put a little of the tank water into the bag- and then in an hour you can release the fish.

I have been called the fish killer- I have NO luck with fish, they always die in weird ways. Like committing suicide or getting their cheek stuck in the filter or swimming upside down for days then dieing. I'm much better with mammals (: I hope i've helped and I wish you good luck with your new fishie
okay thanks, it may be too much oxygen.  i didn't know it would kill fish, i have a long bubbler in the tank as well as a sting ray water filter that makes a water fall in the tank too
An oxygen bubble will insert a higher percentage of oxygen into water than a normal air bubble. This allows for higher quantities of fish in a given size of container, or it will make bait fish lively. However, an oxygen bubble does not have the ability to absorb CO2. As the fish eliminates CO2 in it’s body, there will be a build-up of CO2 in the livewell water. When the percentage of CO2 equals that of the fish, the fish will be unable to expel the CO2 and absorb the enriched oxygenated water. If a closed livewell does not have the ability to aerate and remove the CO2, the fish will suffocate.

I would try just removing the long bubbler- and see how that goes
*regarding the fish that had problems breathing You can harm a fish with the right kind of bubbles though... if your air bubbler is malfunctioning or too strong for the species of fish, you can sort of emulsify the tiny air bubbles that result in the water, which, in a few species of fish, could make it difficult to breathe.