Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
Fish undereating and overeating.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your fish & aquatic pets!

Fish undereating and overeating.

Hello! I just got my fish (first time fish owner) yesterday from PetCo. Consists of two lyretail guppies, two fancy male guppies and two catfish or sterba's cory.

My problem is that my guppies are eating the algae tablet that are for my catfish, but my catfish aren't eating at all from what I've observed. I'm worried if I leave the tablet out too long, the guppies will overeat and that my catfish will be underfed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I read that the catfish would eat the fallen fish flakes and the tablet, but they've done none of that.. my guppies have been and they've been ignoring their feed.

I feed my catfish "Aqueon Algae Rounds Algae Eater Fish Food" and my guppies "TetraColor Tropical Crisps" - the saleslady recommended these. It's driving me insane because I wanted to be a good fish owner and this only day 2!

Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

Tags: overeating, undereating, new fish, guppy, catfish cory
Feed the catfish shrimp pellets they eat dead things from the ground naturally and so when trying to breed use brine shrimp . I use Wardley shrimp pellets not out of prefrence just out of convinence but my cat fish are doing great I had 2 guppies a chinese algae eater and 3 catfish. MY 2 guppies died because i haddent had fish in a while and put that many in a new tank :/. THen the algae ater sometimes gets agro and one of my cat fish got a blood spot on his belly one day and died the next :/ but he seesto get along fine and i have 2 albino cory along with the algae eater. Im gettng more corys as they do best with  or more. but since i only have aq 10 gallon avaliable for them atm i will only get 3 to give them room im putting th em in a bigger tank n the future and can complete thw 6 then and maybe breed them using the 10 gallon for fry