Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
Forgot to cycle a tank, please help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your fish & aquatic pets!

Forgot to cycle a tank, please help.

Ok, so I'm a bit of an idiot did research on guppies for a couple days and thought I was ready, bought a tank bubbler that guy at the store said would be fine for them and got set the whole thing up. Added water and nutrafin to clean the water set the bag in the tank to let the fish get used to the temperature. Then put the fish in, later that day i bought 3 Aponogeton bulbs and 2 lily bulbs. 3 of my 9 guppies died changing my 2:1 female:male ration to a 1:1 and I thought I must be doing something wrong. So again I check online and realize I missed a pretty big thing, I never cycled the tank in any way. Seeing that it was possible to cycle a tank using plants if the numbers are kept low I picked up 3 small patches of Hairgrass, Eleocharis acicularis, and an aqua fern, Trichomanes javanicum, to help cycle the tank a bit better. With this number of plants and 10 or so guppies in a ten gallon tank be ok or should I swap out the bubbler for a better filtration system, if so please recommend something that won't cause them to get stuck in the intake, I had this problem before with another tank when I was younger. I plan on doing a 50% water change every Saturday and a smaller water change mid week to keep it fairly clean.

Is there any way to jumpstart the cycling that won't kill the remaining guppies?
Tags: cycle, Plants, guppies, tank, filtration