My large goldfish acts very legargic once in awhile and does not eat.
My large goldfish is about 4 years old and usually acts normal but every once in awhile he gets very legargic and does not eat. This time it has been about a week and I am concerned do you have any suggestions?
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear this a sick pet is such a difficult thing.
Can you give some more info:
What size of tank is your fish in? Exactly how large is the fish? what sort of filtration/aeration are you using? are there other fish in the tank? when was the last time you did a h20 change? Do you use a water conditioner? What and how often do you feed the fish? Have you tested the ph, nitrite, nitrate, and amonia (ammonia) levels? What are they? What temperature is the water? I assume this is the only symptom? Is the fish hanging out at the bottom, middle or top of the tank? Do you use salt in the water?
Important: do not keep feeding and letting the uneaten food sit in the tank. It is better for a goldfish to skip a day eating than for the food to decay in the tank as this can cause potentially fatal amonia (ammonia) spikes. I recommend you talk to someone at an aquarium or fish store. If at all possible avoid franchise one stop shopping type pet stores like p*tco and p*tsmart. They are not very educated in fish care and would rather just sell you another fish than figure out how to save the one you have. Also you should try an online aquarium forum. Like: aquariacentral *******
If you answer the above questions I may be able to help.
I wish both of you the best.
Hi: Thanks so much for getting back with me so soon. My "Big Gulp" is a fan-tail goldfish that is between 4-5 inches long about 3 inches high and about 2 inches wide. I have him in a 10 gallon fresh water aquarium with no other fish and I changed his tank water a week ago because I did let it go too long and took out all the bad water and most of the stuff in the gravel. I had been just doing a partial water change but didn't do anything for about two months. I use a water conditioner, AquaSafe and NitraBan but have never tested the ph, etc levels. I don't know the water temperature is either but it was getting a little warm in here using a wood stove to heat. He is hanging out at the bottom with his nose in the gravel most of the time but in the last 24 hours has begun to move a little more. I will go to a fish store and ask more but I really appreciate all your help. I will also check the on-line forum you mentioned. Thanks again.
Glad to hear he is moving around again.
I think you might want to get a 25g tank. Do you have a waterfall and a bubbler? You should have at least a filtering waterfall, if not both. You should be doing a 25% water change (with a gravel vacumm) about every other week. It is very important to have a test kit for Ph, nitrite, nitrater and amonia (ammonia), as that is the first hing to check if anything is going wrong. Some fish stores will test water for you if you bring in a sample, but it is really best to have the ability to do it yourself, for 24 hour damage control. What do you feed your fish? Goldfish have digestive issues and it is best to feed a sinking pellet food, with the floating flakes they end up eating too much air with their meals. Also, it is reccommend to provide some fresh roughage. For my goldfish I keep frozen organic peas and I skin them and chop them into tiny pieces. One pea is more than enough. Goldfish only need about a meal a day.
Sounds like your guy may just be a little drowsy from the warmth. But keep an eye on him, better safe than sorry :)
Hi: "Big Gulp" is getting better, moving around and eating a little. I feel so bad that I nearly poisoned him by feeding him too much and letting the water go. I doubt I will ever let that happen again. I am going to O'Fishal Aquarium to have the water tested today and find out more. I have had him for so long and he has grown so big and beautiful that it would seem a real loss to lose him now. Thank you again for your help. I kind of knew what I had done but now has made me more aware of taking better care of him.
Hello: I just got your other message and I will look into getting a 25g tank. (One fish, for room to grow and swim?) I do have a waterfall filter for 5-15 g tank and a bubbler but don't know much about the vacuum although I have seen professionals use one. I will get some sinking pellets and give him another pea that's organic this time. I'm trying to get out the decomposing food with a net in the meantime that he didn't eat when he was sick. It isn't much but I will do that and just change 25% of the tank this next weekend. Thanks once again... Skeesix
Great plans Skeesix, good to hear your commited to Big Gulp's ;) well-being. The large tank is because goldfish produce more waste than other fish and their water can reach toxic levels quickly. The whole goldfish bowl thing is a fatal misconception. The things I put my fish through before I figured it out.... it is a wonder they survive sometimes.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.