Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
fish bleeding and fins rotting

This forum is for questions and support regarding your fish & aquatic pets!

fish bleeding and fins rotting

how can i tell if my fish needs medication for Bacteria or virus?

my gold fish (common, about 5" long and 2-3 years old). I have him in the tank with Black Moor (29 gallon tank with good filtration, little salt and 1/3 water change once a week). He is acting very strange for a while. he is hovering vertically in the tank being in a "sleep" mode for periods of time that gradually being increased. He seemed normal during feeding time and when i would tap on the tank, so i just thought its a faze. (he used to have bladder problems since he was small, so i thought its related). It gotten a lot worse over night and it looks like his body is bleeding from the inside. One of his gills is very red and his stomach and bottom fins (especially at the point that connects with the body) are very red. I thought its related to his luck of movement. My roommate said he was gasping for air yesterday. Is there anything i can do? what can i treat him with. I have tried to read on the web what to do, but it is all very confusing.
It sounds like it could be septicemia which is caused by poor water quality.    Have you tested it recently (amonia (ammonia), ph, nitrite, nitrate).  If not go buy a test kit right away.  Be careful not to add too much salt as it builds up over time, it doesn't evaporate like the h20 does.  So every few  water changes skip it.  Do you use a gravel vacumm when you change the water?  Goldfish create a lot of waste and it is important to suck it out of the gravel instead of letting it decompose there, which can cause amonia (ammonia) spikes. Be sure to always use a water conditioner. P.A.T. is a good one.   Is the fin tearing and fraying too?  If so, may be fin rot.  Go to your local aquarium/fish store (find one that specializes in fish if at all possible) and describe the situation to them.  also a great resource is aquariacentral *c .o. m
Good luck!
I ran a fish store for over ten years and this is very common among goldfish and catfish.  What you need to do is buy a medication called Clout.  It is very strong, so please follow the dosage instructions very carefully and clean out 25% of the water before the next treatment.  Usually you'll have to treat the tank every other day for three dosage straight, I would do a 50% water change when finished with all three dosage before starting a new cycle of the next three treatment.  If you have a big tank, I would isolate the sick fish into a smaller tank becasue Clout could become expensive when you are treating a fish in a 100 gallon tank versus 25 gallons.  Good Luck.
I have 15 large fan tail goldfish and I am experiencing the same problem.  Bloody gills, fins and appears to have blood under scales.  Tried three different madication including salt and chaning water. Nothing seems to be working.  I have a 100 gallow in ground pond and had not problems for 8-years until this week.  Have lost 5 fish at this point.  Good luck with yours.  Huck23