Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
sick oscar

This forum is for questions and support regarding your fish & aquatic pets!

sick oscar

i just lost a oscar fish last night. now my other oscar is becoming sick, hes hanging around at top of tank like hes trying to stick his nose out of the water, he is acting strange darting across tank bumping into the sides and his fins are turning white. could you tell me whats wrong and what to do? and also he is good about letting us pet him, for a minute, but now he doesnt even try to get upset when we rub him he just  stays still and lets us.
Tags: acting
  • sick oscar (1 replies):
    I have had my Oscar for three years. I used to feed him ...[more]
  • Oscar Sick (1 replies):
    Hello. I have a 2-3in tiger oscar that I had just bought...[more]
  • sick tiger oscar (3 replies):
    I have a male and female tiger oscar about 3 years old a...[more]
  • sick oscar (51 replies):
    i have a 29 gallon tank with a tiger oscar and pleco in ...[more]
  • sick clown fish (1 replies):
    my clown fish has a whitish-grayish layer of what almos...[more]
OK listen i don't want to be mean but PETTING YOUR FISH IS BAD FOR THEM the oils from your skin makes it hard for them to breathe so if you wan't him to live i would stop touching him.

make sure the temp of water is warm and try adding some more oxagen
i have 4 oscars in a 125 gal tank 3 seem fine but the female is acting the same ..the temp is fine and the ph is fine have done a 2/3 water change and still no change is there a med
well i just got back from talking to several fish dudes and the general thought is beacuse
my other fish are not geting sick .  My oscar had a stroke  apperently it happenes after all the years ive had oscars this is the first time, but i can see it shes lathargic cant swimm right bumps into things and after a a week and a half the other fish are not sick my ph/kh/gh/nh3/no2/ph all good so they just might be right ..........SORRY no known cure if it is that only 2 options let it live out its life or put it into a bag and frees it so that it goes to sleep before it dies (the humane way of doing it)..Im going to keep mine arround a while longer just in case the diagnosis is wrong and someone here comes up with a better solution but i feel im hoping at this point