Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
Eating a lot!!!! and breast feeding. :/

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

Eating a lot!!!! and breast feeding. :/

Hello, I'm 19 years old and I weight 151.... i had a baby on Nov. 26 2012.... and about 2moths before I had him I started felling really depress. Everytime I was feeling sad, or when I looked at myself in the mirror and specially after arguing with my husband for what ever reason I ate and ate.... I just couldn't stop.... at first I thought it was just the hormones but my baby is about to be 4 moths and I feel I'm getting worst.... just last week I got two boxes of pizza for the "family"... I only ate between 4 to 6 slides that day... but the following day as soon as I woke up I ate the whole other pizza by myself... and my big problem is that as soon as I eat I feel so bad that I quit eating for about a day or two and even try to sleep day and night so that I won't have that anxity of wanting to eat and eat. My biggest consern is that I'm breast feeding my son and I'm scare this might affect him.
Hi Mirna

You sound quite distressed! Pregancy can certainly affect your moods, as you are very likely overwhemled by hormones at this time. Regardless of whether you are a food addict or not, you may find that you are tempted to eat sugary and fatty foods because of your raging hormones. Unfortunately, eating junk foods, especially sugar, will make your moods even more challanging to cope with.

Eating sugar while pregnant may have predisposed you to gestastional diabetes, or made that condition worse. You may have gained excessive weight, which could put your baby at increased risk for obesity - at the time of birth (called macrosomia) or as he / she is growing up into adulthood. If you are currently experiencing post partum depression, you may find that eating sugar is making this worse.

It is hard to know what is going on with you; you do not need to see a speicalist, but for your own health, and your baby, I encourage you to see someone to assess what is the basis for your distressed mood. The food intake may be a symtom of something more serious, like post partum depression.

Please check out my website addictionsunplugged.com after you have seen someone, to see if any of the information on food addiction applies to you. If it does, there is hope if you follow the solutions listed. There are also some phone numbers of 12 step food addiction groups that are free to get support for somone trying to stop their food addiction.
Can someone please help me... I have no idea of what to do. And I don't have money to go to a specialist.... please and thank you.