Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
How to overcome sugar addiction plz help

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

Im 28 year old mother breast feeding mother. I used to hate sugar before n during pregnancy. Recently I found my self eating lots n lots of sweets like I finish 2  sweats  in 3 days. I askedmy hubby not to store sweat products in home. So that I can stay away from sweats. But sadly I started preparing some sweat receipes at home n finishing them in 3 or 4 days. I'm unable to control my addiction. My craving won't satisfy untill I eat 5 sweets at one take. Plz help me...
Your question about having sugar cravings while you are pregnant raises an interesting point: are food cravings in pregnancy due to addiction or hormones alone?

Pregnancy is a time of hormones gone wild: the increases in estrogen, progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin lead to insomnia, mood disturbances and food cravings. At the very least, the pregnant woman have abnormal taste and smell perception, which leads to the intense desire for some foods and aversion to others. Cravings for sweet foods are very typical.

Having abnormal food cravings in pregnancy is very normal: one South African study showed that up to 84% of pregnant women have some kind of food craving. It does not mean you are a food addict if you are wolfing down sugars uncontrollably. It is an example of how hormones can strongly dictate appetite. Typical foods that pregnant (and premenstrual) women share are chocolate, pizza, cheese, even ice, and in some cases mud or dirt or cigarette butts.  These cravings, which can be completely new to a women’s usual diet occur most often in the first trimester.

“ I am eating for two” is the most common rationale for indulging in your cravings. Beware though! Junk food habits and maternal obesity of the new mother can get passed on to the baby.

So your struggles may indicate that you are a sugar addict  - or suffering from these pregnancy induced cravings.

Check out these questions to see if you are addicted to food:
The 20 questions for food addiction:

1. Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn’t?
2. Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
3. Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
4. Do you binge and then “get rid of the binge” through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
5. Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
6. Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about you're eating habits or weight?
7. Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
8. Is your weight problem due to you're “nibbling” all day long?
9. Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
10. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
11. Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
12. Do you eat in secret?
13. Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
14. Have you ever stolen other people’s food?
15. Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have “enough?”
16. Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
17. Do you obsessively calculate the calories you’ve burned against the calories you’ve eaten?
18. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you’ve eaten?
19. Are you waiting for your life to begin “when you lose the weight?”
20. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
Copyright © 2000-2010 Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous

If you think you might be a food addict, then the next step is to stop eating the trigger foods – in your case, the sweets. Even if you are not, this is a good idea for the next few months.

You were on the right path having your husband hide the sweets in the house, but you will have to do more. Sugar cravings are as intense as drug cravings, and will require drastic actions. You may even experience a withdrawal: stronger cravings, irritability, agitation, insomnia…. The good news is that if you don’t ‘cheat’ after a few weeks of abstinence, your food cravings will subside.

This is much easier said than done. I encourage you to go to my website: addictionsunplugged.com, and find out some resources that will help you quit. There is lots of information as well as resources like 12 step groups. Like with any addiction, it is almost impossible to quit your drug of choice alone! You are not alone in experiencing these cravings. It may feel like you simply cannot resist, and when that feeling comes up, having someone to call to help is essential.