Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
Loosing Weight and Exercise

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

Loosing Weight and Exercise

I have been working our at least for times a week. I still have not lost any weight. When I upped my work out to six times a week (cardio mostly), I still did not loose weight. What gives? Does this mean I have a problem with my thyroid?
Despite the common belief that in order to loose weight you have to increase your exercise, this is a fallacy. Exercise makes you hungrier and you are likely to eat more food as a result. Typically what happens is that people work out vigorously, and then 'treat' themselves afterwards, thus negating the calories lost from the workout with the excess calories coming in - due to the increased hunger and the need for a reward.

Did you know that a 30 minute jog will burn only 250 calories, or even vigorous skipping will burn only 330 calories? A simple unadorned bran muffin, not counting the butter or the beverage alongside it, will cost you 400 calories?

Exercise is tremendously helpful for mental and physical wellbeing. It increases cognitive capacity, improves mood, and can help prevent high blood pressure, diabetes and osteoporosis, to name just a few good attributes. But, it is a disappointing tool for weight loss.  In fact, without a dietary change, you might even gain more weight with increased exercise.

The key towards successful weight loss is your diet, that is, how much you eat of WHAT you eat. Multiple studies have shown that a change is diet will produce two to three times more weight loss than does an exercise program. And if you curb your sugars and refined carbohydrates, your weight loss will be the most significant, even without the exercise.

If you are overweight, it might be better to not exercise. Other than walking or swimming, exercise such as jogging can be doing more harm than good. Running puts tremendous mechanical strain on your knees and back, and this is made worse with obesity.

Have an underactive thyroid may be a contributing factor, but you may have a healthy thyroid and still not loose weight if you are depending on exercise alone.

Please see my website for an account of a personal trainer who tells of his own personal experience of the futility of exercise alone as a means of weight loss (http://addictionsunplugged.com/2011/06/13/are-we-getting-fit-or-fatter).

In good conscience, he will not advocate his exercise program unless his clients first change their food to a healthier diet. He claims that to do otherwise would be misleading the client, and even potentially dangerous.