Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
My daughter hoardes food

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

My daughter hoardes food

My daughter is 12 and since she was 6 she has hoard food.She hides food in her drawers and closets and even her box spring..She sneaks up when every ones asleep and eats alot. She would eat 24/7 if i let her.. I have took her to and i get told she will grow outa it..What can i do and what is wrong with her? Im worried she will get 300pnds she is 240 now and dont care or want to change'..
Hi Shadwo

I am not sure who answered your email before I got to it. I agree however that your daughter should be assessed first by a medical doctor.

She may well have a physical condition that needs to be ruled out before any psychotherapeutic intervention is sought out. She could be suffering from hypothryoidism, Cushing's syndrome, or even the rare condition called Prader Willis syndrome. Medications (legal / illegal)  could be causing the increased apetite and weight gain.

Once those conditions have been considered, then she should be seen by an eating disorder clinic to rule out bulemia or binge eating disorder. It is at this point that you may want to consider if she is a food addict (see addictionsunplugged.com for more info on this), but I encourage you to take these initial steps first before you pursue this idea. It is better to see it as a diagnosis by exclusion.  

Hope this helps.
Most Adult Women would be seriously overweight at 240 pounds.  Your Daughter is not going to "out grow this".  I would Immediately take Her to another Doctor AND to a therapist.  This is a serious Physical AND Mental Health issue. You MUST act on this - be Your Daughters advocate and get Her the help She needs - obesity causes many Major and Serious health problems - You would be saving Your Daughter's life!!