Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
Sugar Addiction

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

Sugar Addiction

I'm new here on the forum ;p
I am wondering if I have a sugar addiction ??? I seem to crave sugar all the time. I gave up coffee for the most part... only decaf... I drink. Anyway, I use to put tons of sugar in it. I think it was maybe the sugar I was addicted to and not the coffee {@-@)
I crave candy, cakes, pies and almost anything with sugar in it!
The doc checked my sugar (Diabetes) It was fine.

I think I must have a craving, or?

What is the "norm" for sugar intake?
While it is certainly possible to be addicted to coffee, it does sound like you may also be addicted to sugar. The fact that you crave sugar all the time, and that you put tons of sugar in your erik and crave foods with lots of sugar - these are all strong indications that you are addicted to sugar.  

Have a look at this questionnaire. These are the 20 questions that the Food Addicts in Recovery group, a mutual support group of food addicts use to determine if they are addicted to sugar (as well as other foods). If you answer yes to just a few of these, you might be a food addict.

1. Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn’t?
2. Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
3. Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
4. Do you binge and then “get rid of the binge” through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
5. Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
6. Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about you're eating habits or weight?
7. Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
8. Is your weight problem due to your “nibbling” all day long?
9. Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
10. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
11. Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
12. Do you eat in secret?
13. Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
14. Have you ever stolen other people’s food?
15. Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have “enough?”
16. Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
17. Do you obsessively calculate the calories you’ve burned against the calories you’ve eaten?
18. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you’ve eaten?
19. Are you waiting for your life to begin “when you lose the weight?”
20. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
Copyright © 2000-2010 Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous

Are you asking what is a healthy intake of sugar when you ask what is the norm for sugar intake? There is no 'norm' for sugar intake.  Prior to the twentieth century, people were eating very little sugar, and the norm that existed  100 year ago (or even 50 years ago) is far less than the huge amounts that people are eating today. In any case, whatever the norm is, if you are a sugar addict, then NO amount of sugar is healthy. Even if you are not a sugar addict, the norm today is not healthy. It will promote diabetes, obesity and mood disorders.

Please be assured that sugar intake norms are not based on what is the most healthy but what is the most profitable for the food industry.

Please check out my website: http://addictionsunplugged.com/2011/03/30/are-you-a-food-addict/ for more information, also.