Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
junk food lover

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

junk food lover

Hi im new to this whole my diet diary thing, so I'm not sure where to begin,so ill start with the fact that as a child i ate alot of junk that ay first didn't effect my weight. Now that im older and not as active i look like I'm 3months. Lol. I find my self eatting two to three plats of food. I also at like that when I'm upset. I got on scale yesterday and i cried. I went frm 125lb to 258lb over a period of years. I find myself depress,low energy, sleepy,and unable to do actives that i was able to do when i wsd younger. Like running ,jump ropping, and riding bike. I miss those things. :-(  what can i do to get back to my old but much healthier self?
HI Brown Foxx

It is certainly true that you can't eat the same kinds of foods that you did as a child without gaining weight. This has to do with our metabolism that slows down with age: Our metabolism slows down by 5% each decade, which means that when you are 35, your burn about 100 fewer calories fewer each day and at age 45, up to 200 calories less a day than when you were 25. And if you are dieting, your metabolism slows down even more so, and your weight gain can be astronomical once you start eating again. These are just two of many reasons why weight gain gets harder the older we get, especially for women. Eating 2 or 3 plates more of food naturally makes matter worse, and I am betting that the foods you are eating are not the healthy green vegetables but the starchy sugary and fatty foods. These are the foods that make you want to eat more, even if you are not hungry.

If you have found yourself eating more of these foods, this will explain why you have gained weight AND have found your moods and energy so depleted. Sugars, refined starches, caffeine,  all contribute to making you feel good at first (which in your case might just be helping you feel 'normal') only to crash afterwards to lethargy, mental fogginess and depression. These are all the aftereffects of hypoglycaemia from the excess sugar, and the neurochemical withdrawal from the 'high' that these foods initially gave you.

The way to get back to your normal healthier self is to start eating 'real' foods. The foods that most of us eat are chemically engineered to 1) give us a boost of energy 2) make us want more 3)  satisfy our hunger - in that order. Healthy is not even on the list of objectives, though the marketing may suggest this. I would suggest that even if you are not a food addict (and if you are - these directions are imperative to follow), you can try to stop eating sugar and refined starches such as chips, bread, pasta. You  may have to limit your intake of potatoes, rice, grains, even fruits. The goal is to eat as many vegetables (broccoli, brussels, lettuce etc) and proteins (fish, chicken) and healthy fats (butter, olive oil, butter). If you can keep to this kind of diet, you will find physical and mental health again. Remember: Good food is good medicine! The trick is to start this meal plan and not cheat - the first three weeks are the hardest and then it is much easier. As long as you dont relapse back to your old eating behaviour, you will find that you will maintain the health you desire and not crave foods in the way that you probably are now.

By the way, don't be fooled into thinking that 'skinny' people who can eat anything are exempt from the physical and addictive nature of sugars and refined starches. They get just as sick, but they don't show it as obviously. It is the internal 'belly fat' (internal and external) that is dangerous and no one is immune to the experiences that you are describing. You are NOT alone.

If you want more information on what diet to follow, have a look at http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf.

If you find that you cant keep to the healthier diets - you may be a food addict and will need to take some additional steps.See my website: addictionsunplugged.com for more info on addictive eating.