Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
A few toenails look partially white/scratchy

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Ok this has happened to me twice n the last 2 years or so... When I wear nail polish longer than say 3 week or so, I go to remove the polish and my 2 big toe nails are most white, looking like they've been scratched up.  Does polish really cause this??  I'm afraid to just cover over it with new polish for fear it won't go away.  The first time I saw that I did not put any polish on again and it tooks months and months for that to go away.  Now it happened to a couple other toes too, is there anything I can do to get rid of the look or if I put nail polish on again will that stuff still grow out or will my toenails stay the same underneath??  --  MEGAN
you have yeast and staining on the nails.
i would get an aggressive nail filer and sand it down.  apply tea tree oil on it daily.  your nails should be back to normal within a week.
in the future, apply a top coat/clear coat b/f painting on the polish.  
A top clear coat was applied before the color coat... This was done at a nail salon I have been to many times.  However the 2 times I wore the paint longer than like 3 weeks because I couldn't make a new appoint., I just let the paint stay on and kinda chip but after having it on like 6 weeks I used polish remover and both my big toes looked scratchy but not my other nails.  So are you saying to sand the top part of my nail that should be clear looking but is now scratchy or the top part that is normally white where your nail grows out?