Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Acute skin erosion around onychomycosis affected toenail

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

My big toe and to a lesser extent toe immediately adjacent have all the symptoms of the unsightly onychomycosis. The skin next to my big toe has for some time had a reddish appearance, but has just recently starting eroding and has rapidly deteriorated. There is no pain, but it is very unsightly and no amount of moisturing helps.

Because Lamisil has potential liver toxicity and is expensive, my doctor did not seem to favor treating my onychomycosis systemically.

My history of self treating onychomycosis has involved debriding the effected nail and applying a thin coat of the antifungal 25% Undecylenic Acid, followed by a coat of Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylate AKA as Crazy Glue, after reading about a patent application that uses Cyanoacrylate to deprive the fungus of moisture and oxygen

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2006091908&IA=WO2006091908&DISPLAY=DESC

"selectively applying a topical coating of cyanolkeinoic esters to fungal areas of diseased nails followed by repetitive debridement and reapplication of the topical coatings results in an effective elimination of the fungus growth"

The patent application has resulted in a product that uses Cyanoacrylate and Ciclopirox, Penlac Nail laquer.

Other than the unsightly factor, which I really hate as I am a woman and this is summer, should i be concerned about this progression of symptoms effecting the skin around my effected nail bed. My onychomycosis is so severe I have had separation from the nail bed and resulting nail loss.
the undecylenic acid thins out the nail.  i am afraid that this medication is also eroding the surrounding skin.  the best way to thin out the nail is to get a nail dermabrasion.
then, following with antifungal creams (eg ketoconazole cream).
or, you can have the nails removed and apply the antifungal cream (ketoconazole) to the new nails.
if you have permanent nail separation, the nail bed is diseased and will prevent future nail attachment.  this will allow the fungus to continue living under the nail.
The Crazy Glue formula is not Penlac, it is Renew Nail

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/nail-fungus-death-by-starvation-2404.html

focusing on starvation of the fungus by disrupting the fungal food chain: air, food (keratin) and water.  His solution creates an environment that allows the antifungal to remain in the nail, killing the fungus, while simultaneously blocking absorption of air and water.

So part of my concern is due to the fact that I have been self treating by applying Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylate & 25% Undecylenic Acid to my toenail.
Thanks Dr. Do

I will discontinue the undecylenic acid.

Do you have concerns with my continued use of the Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylate to deprive the fungus of moisture and oxygen?

I have seen improvement since I began coating the toenail with Crazy Glue