Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Big toe fused now next toe slides under - help!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Big toe fused now next toe slides under - help!

I have an arthrodesis (big toe joint fused) almost 5 months ago.  Most of the swelling is gone, but the foot still hurts a little to walk on (the whole point of surgery).  In the past month or two the 2nd toe has started to slide under the big toe when I walk.  At rest the toes are all in correct position.  My doctor gave me a toe splint to pull the toe back to position, but hey aren't I pulling a straight toe out of position (to the right) so it won't slide as much to the left and go under the big toe?  

Ugh, I fear being permanently crippled.  Is this a common side-effect?  A bad surgery?  Any ideas?

Thank you!