Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Bunion or stress fracture?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Bunion or stress fracture?

I'm 22 years of age. I've had a bunion on my left foot ever since I can remember. It's gotten pretty big and it's become hard for me to find shoes that are comfortable enough for me to wear without my foot hurting. I noticed about 2 years ago that I had a bunion starting on my right foot. It is still pretty small and not very noticable but within the past 3 months, I've had excrutiating pain in the bone of my big toe and down the side of the inside of my foot. I can't even bend my toes or it hurts very badly. I'm on my feet a lot. I have a toddler myself and I run an in-home daycare, where I watch several other children around my son's age and they're constantly getting into stuff. I also do a lot of walking. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and to help keep off the weight that I have recently lost (75 lbs), I walk between 3-8 miles a week. The pain from both of my feet, but my left inparticular is making every day life a struggle for me. The pain never goes away and it almost  feels like my toe needs to be cracked. It feels as if there is a lot of pressure on it and like it's being pushed out to the left. This goes all the way down to my "knuckle" and then again down about half the length of my foot on the inside.

I've looked up stress fractures and from what I've found, I thought it could have been the problem but it's been so long since this problem and pain has started that I'm beginning to wonder if it's my bunions that are causing it? I will be making an appointment as soon as I can but in the mean time, I would like an opinion or a suggestion on what I can do to take the pain away or what it might be? Thanks in advance.
it sounds like you have sesamoidits or a tibial sesamoid fracture.  get an xray to see if this is the case.  in the interim, stop exercising until you get an answer. otherwise, you could be doing more damage.