Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Burning Pain/Swelling day after stubbing toes 3,4,5

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Hi all. Yesturday i stubbed my toes (little toe and those next to it 3/4/5) for the second time in a week (we are redecorating so things are everywhere!) [on the same box!]. When i stubbed them for the second time all three toes bent back towards the top of my foot, very quickly and it hurt, a lot! :o( They started to bruise really quickly - i guess all the blood was rushing to the area. I put some ice on it to stop the pain and it numbed it. I went to bed and when i got up this morning my foot (toe end) was an odd red/purple patchy colour and swollen. I am able to walk but it is painfull. I can move my toes but it is painful. I broke my arm severly as a child (in 3 places wrist and arm requiring an operation) and had a 'shooting' burning pain which is happening now in my toes/foot which is suggesting that i have broken something. I am wondering if i have broken a Metatarsal bone as i did a 'self exam' and pressed down over the swollen area to feel anything suspicious and find the direct area of pain. The pain is coming from the area between the 5th (little) and 4th toes around half an inch away from the toes - so wondering if it could be a Metatarsal?
I live around 30 miles from the nearest fully functional A&E department in Cornwall (are local one will only tell you to go to Truro/Treliske), so am unsure whether to go to A&E as can they do much about it? Should i get an Xray done to be on the safe side or wait a day or so to see if the pain subsides? Thanks in advance. xx
get an xray to see the extent of the injury.  if you have a displaced fracture, it will need to be reduced.
at the very least, tape the toes together to splint it.  wear a nonbendable shoe to offload the toes until you get an appt.