Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Cannot walk in shoes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cannot walk in shoes

I am retired and I usually walk 2-3 hours a day. Starting about 2 months ago, I noticed a problem with my left foot, after a few minutes walking, my toes want to "lock down", making it very difficult to walk. When I take my shoes off, problem goes away. I can walk outside in 2 pair of socks as much as I want, no problem. I can walk inside the house on the wood floor barefoot, no problem. I can ride my bike no problem. I have tried several pairs of shoes and boots, same problem.

I had a problem with sesamoiditis 2 years ago, and custom orthotics helped me with that. I do not feel any pain or discomfort under my big toe, the forefoot just wants to lock down.

What could be the problem?

I went to a podiatrist, and he has ordered a new pair of custom orthotics for me, which should be ready next week, but he had no idea why my forefoot locks down in shoes. In the meantime, I just walk around in socks, when it's dry and not too cold.