Cannot walk in shoes
I am retired and I usually walk 2-3 hours a day. Starting about 2 months ago, I noticed a problem with my left foot, after a few minutes walking, my toes want to "lock down", making it very difficult to walk. When I take my shoes off, problem goes away. I can walk outside in 2 pair of socks as much as I want, no problem. I can walk inside the house on the wood floor barefoot, no problem. I can ride my bike no problem. I have tried several pairs of shoes and boots, same problem.

I had a problem with sesamoiditis 2 years ago, and custom orthotics helped me with that. I do not feel any pain or discomfort under my big toe, the forefoot just wants to lock down.

What could be the problem?

I went to a podiatrist, and he has ordered a new pair of custom orthotics for me, which should be ready next week, but he had no idea why my forefoot locks down in shoes. In the meantime, I just walk around in socks, when it's dry and not too cold.
the shoe you are wearing doesn't allow normal foot function and bending of the joints.
make sure your shoes are not too tight in the toebox and are comfortable and semi flexible.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.