Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Chipped toe bone

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Chipped toe bone

PLaying soccer this pastt May my left foot was stomped on subsequently (xray and MRI confirmed) the toe next to the smallest one had a small chip on the bottom exterior corner of it.  The first two primary care physicians I saw misdiagnosed it.  The two different doctors both took xrays and said nothing was wrong and fed me a story about how the tissue on the bottom of the foot deteriates as we age.  Anyway, finally got a referral to a Podiatrist who promptly identified the chip.  He put me in a removable cast and said to ice for 4 weeks and once pain is gone slower work out of the boot.  Two months later still hurt and finally got an appointment again to see him.  This was yesterday and i'm now in a cast and on crutches for the next 4 weeks.  He is saying the MRI shows nothing wrong with ligaments or connective tissues, nothing torn, ect.  And it just needs more time.  This happened so long ago though and the chip wasn't very big, hasn't it had enough time?  Why didn't we just do a cast and crutches in the first place?  Should I get a second look from someone else?  
since you didn't wear a cast in the beginning, the chip probably did not start to mend to the rest of the bones.
if your pain continues, have the fragment surgically excised.