Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Daughter is in pain with big toe problem

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Hi People,

Both my daughter and I go to Jazzercise three times a week. after about a month she start complaining about  a sore big toe, I felt the top of her trainers to feel her big toe right at the top, so I think its been banging against the top. I bought her new trainers after a argument I may add, she usually buys her own I give her the money.Alas Its still sore, When she presses down on the nail it hurts like hell. I took her to a foot doc (sorry can't spell the proper name) and they said that she had a bone spur and they have to remove her big toe nail. She can't stand anything on it like a sock or sometimes shoes and trainer. Question is can it be a bone spur? And if not what is causing it. And does anybody know what it is. There was no x ray taken to confirm a bone spur
Thanks for your time and for reading this

Lynn M    
take an xray.  if it is a bone spur, it will appear.  however, sometimes the growth is cartilage in nature and won't show up on xray.  if the toe is thicker than the other, most likely it is a bone spur