Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Excessive sweating of feet and ammonia smell

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

For the past year or so I've been suffering from rather severe excessive sweating of the feet. After 9 hours at work, the undersides of my toes and the ball of my foot on one side are white and puffy with a strong red line running next to the white area on the ball of one foot, which is sore especially when flexing. My socks (always cotton) are soaked through and I change them straight away after work, only to find them soaked again when I go to bed later that evening. This happens in all shoes and boots.

Also, the wet socks and insides of my shoes smell terribly of ammonia, which has ruined all my footwear and means I cannot remove my shoes in company. This ammonia smell began some 2 or 3 months after the excessive sweating began. I am 29 years old, slim and get a fair bit of exercise at work due to its nature. My diet had not changed when all the above occurred, nor anything else notable. I drink a lot of fluids and do not eat too much protein or take any kind of supplements. Please help as the ammonia smell is even permeating through my work boots and becoming noticeable.
spray arid xtra dry to the feet daily.  this should help.  if not, get a prescription from your podiatrist for Drysol 20% solution.  this will do the trick. apply before going to bed.  i think you can also buy this on amazon.
you have overactive sweat glands.  the ammonia smell comes from fungus and bacteria that thrive on moist skin.