Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Fractured cuboid/torn ligament

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Fractured cuboid/torn ligament

I fractured my cuboid bone and tore a ligament about a week ago and was told to use crutches for three months and then walk with the cast for about two months after. I'm wondering if the ridiculously long recovery time is due to the fracture or the ligament. Around the internet I've mainly been finding 6-8 weeks healing time for bones and ligaments, so why would I need a cast for 5 months? The bone didn't move when broken and the fracture isn't terrible

Would PRP (platelet-rich plasma) be a good treatment for an injury like this? If so, are there only certain specialists who use this therapy? Also, would it be a bad idea to use electrical stimulation on my calf muscle so it doesn't turn into jello?

Thanks a lot :)
platelet rich plasma works,,,but, you would have to cut open the skin and "pour the plasma in".
electrical stim on the calf is not enough to keep the muscle strong.
usually, non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks is enough to treat a nondisplaced cuboid fracture.  then partial weight bearing for a couple weeks after that.
if the fracture was bad and there was sepearation of joints/bones, surgical repair would be warranted.
1 Comment
A related discussion, cuboid bone was started.
A related discussion, foot treatment was started.