Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Heel spur

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Heel spur

Hello. I've had heel pain that's been getting gradually worse since last Summer. I finally was referred to a Podiatrist last month who said I had Calcaneal Bursitis. I asked for an X-Ray and just found out yesterday that I also have a heel spur. They want me to go back to the Podiatrist. Can you give me your opinion on what, if anything, can be done about this? I would hope it wouldn't ensure surgery because I don't want that. Is there much that can be done, then, or do I just have to live with this?
Thank you.
physical therapy to include ultrasound, e-stim, and iontophoresis can help.  most importantly, stretching the calf daily can help.
lastly, wearing sensible/supportive shoes help relieve the pressure ont he heel.  if the pain is very severe, cortisone injections help.
there is a great stretching exercise demonstrated at www.footscript.com
Also, since I have Crohn's (although in remission right now), they don't want me to take aspirin or Motrin. Is there any other anti-inflamatory I could take? Thanks!
other nsaids are naproxen, naprosen, celebrex they are all prescription and are all currently being investingated for a link to increased heart atttack. stroke risk...how about advil
Cherie, I can't take Celebrex, I guess, because it has Sulpha in it and I'm allergic to Sulpha. Of course, right!

This forum doesn't seem to be very active, is it?
I saw the Podiatrist today. He wanted to give me a shot in my heel but I heard that's really painful so I didn't want to try that yet. He did give me some steriod medicine and said to check back in about 3 weeks and if it wasn't any better than I'm really going to have to get the shot. He said especially as sensitive and painful as it is right now that they need to get the infection in the Bursa under control. When he pressed on that spot on my heel I about went through the roof. I guess that's why he said that. Do I really have to get the shot? Will Physical Therapy help?
Thank you, Dr! I did try the steroid shot and that seemed to help the next day but now it's hurting again so I think I will try the physical therapy with all that you mentioned. Thank you so much for writing back!
How long can I expect this to last? I'm just getting a bit discouraged. I've been going to a physical therapist for a month now and at first it seemed like my heel was getting better but this last week or two it's been painful again, almost back to where it was before. I don't understand why? I thought at first it was because I walked on it more but this week wasn't anything different but I'm feeling that stinging, burning and just hurting sore feeling again which I thought was better. They've been giving me steroid injections at therapy and massage, heat and ice plus some exercise. What else can I do? Why is it getting bad again? And how long can I expect this to last before it's finally all better? If it's an infection or inflammation then shouldn't it be better by now? I really don't know what else I can do and I'm getting discouraged because I want to get back into walking again but my heel is really hurting right now.I don't know what else I can do.
custom orthotics, if casted an made correctly, can do wonders.
Hi April, I also have heel spurs, one on each foot and a condition called Plantar Fascitis (not sure I spelled it right) They were painless until one day of hiking. I couldnt even walk, my heels hurt so bad. I found out the spurs had been getting bigger and bigger for ten years and I had no idea until I irritated them by hiking too far.

Stretching helps, and my podiatrist gave me cortisone shots in my heels and taped them up to support them. The pain was instantly gone. GONE. It was wonderful. After a few months of shots and taping the inflammation settled down and today they only hurt occassional.  Good orthopedic shoes are good.  Spurs can cause fallen arches, which I now have, so if this is a new problem I encourage you to get it taken care of as soon as possible