Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Incredibly Stubborn Ingrown Toe Nails

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Incredibly Stubborn Ingrown Toe Nails

I have had ingrown toenail problems for the past several years and have had them completely removed 4 times, the sides permenantly removed once on each toe, and I even had the entire nail permenantly removed. After the final surgery (permenantly removing the entire nail) my feet were almost cmpletely wrapped in a bandage and I was told to keep my feet above my heart for several days until the bandages were removed to prevent excess swelling. Upon removal of the bandages I was told to soak my feet again for several weeks in a warm salt water bath. After some time we returned to have the stitches removed from where he had cut out and killed the nailbed. After that he toled me to continue soaking for another couple weeks and then the whole problem should be fixed.

Now, seven months later, the nails have grown back. At first I thought it was just thick skin which I was told is what would be where my nail used to be. Just yesterday I noticed my nail was getting rather close to the tip of my toe and, to be safe that it would bot grow into the skin, I soaked it in some warm water to soften the skin and used a thin metal nail cleaner that is normally used to clean out dirt from under your nails and ran it underneath the nail to make sure it wasn't growing into the skin and it wasn't.

Today I came home after being out for a few hours and noticed a small blood stain on my left sock. I immediately soaked them for several minutes and atempted to run the nail cleaner underneath them again. It went under the right nail just fine and I even trimmed off the part that was angled down. On the left nail I started to do the same but got stuck halfway from where the nail was under the skin and it was very painful to continue. I was able to trim most of it and after some perserverance, I removed the angled part on the left nail as well.

What my question is, is there any cause for this other than the doctor not completely removing the nail or killing the nailbed?
perhaps the nail root was not completely destroyed.
once the nail root is killed, you should not have nail growth again.