Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Ingrown toenail to too short toe nail

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Ingrown toenail to too short toe nail

I had an ingrown toe nail. I cut the nail too short and now my nail is short but my toe is still hurting and infected. I soaked my feet. The infection reduced but never really went away. I have had this for a while. I figured my nail needed time to grow. What the heck is going on?
the nail is still growing in the flesh of the toe.
it is difficult to cut all of the offending nail without numbing the toe with a shot.
when the side of the toe is injured, it inflames...the nail doesn't give the skin time to shrink and normalize b/f it grows back into it.
you need to have the toe numbed and the corner cut out down to the root.
this should help.  if not, you need an xray to confirm that the infection has not spread to the bone.