Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Is this a blood clot?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Is this a blood clot?

About a week ago I hit my ankle area pretty bad and it was bruised for a while. But today when I woke up from my nap I noticed this discoloration of my foot that I think wasn't there before. Is this a life threatening blood clot caused by the injury?

Please look here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/img02004201110270014.jpg/

There is very slight pain around the area, almost like a burning sensation

• hematoma (1 replies):
    I fell from a horse three weeks ago and twisted my leg. ...[more]
Dear cybershot653,

I saw the image that you have posted and it looks like a hematoma to me. A hematoma is an internal clot that forms under the skin after trauma. The overlying skin is initially normal in colour, then turns red, magenta, blue and finally pale yellow before going back to its normal tone.

It usually takes quite a strong impact to get such a clot. But do not worry, it is not something life threatening.

In general, I would advise an X-ray of the area to rule out a fracture. But if you are sure that the pain in the area has been subsiding it’s not necessary.

You should try some local measures such as ice packs, support with a crepe bandage and most importantly adequate rest. You may also use topical heparin ointment under your physician’s guidance. If it does not resolve in a week, you should get it examined by a doctor.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Atul Wankhede